• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Petition Against Increase in Certificate Charges

woodlander

Valued Member
I only know to keep replying and bring the post up !! :eek:
Maybe a moderator could help? I brought it in from another forum so if we take it elsewhee too it might help to get more signatures :)

woodlander

Valued Member
I think it's probably "lost" in the abundance of different headings :confused: - only 69 views showing as I post this, so not an enormous amount even if all 69 have signed. :(

woodlander

Valued Member
I see Guy Etchells has made some interesting points on the forum I took this from and perhaps he will put his points of view here for you to consider.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I though you might find this of interest........

It has recently been asked if it is in order for a local register office to impose an administration charge in addition to the standard cost of (£7)?? for a birth, marriage or death certificate. This question has been put to the General Register Office at Southport.

The answer received yesterday was “Our view remains as expressed in the guidance – that the fees for certificates issued by superintendent registrars are set by statute and a superintendent registrar has no power to charge an additional fee, such as an administrative charge. Only where the local authority provides an additional, discretionary service, is it able to charge a supplementary fee (to recover the cost) under the powers available to it under the Local Government Act 2003.”

In view of this reply it may be pertinent to ask local register offices which do levy such additional charges, under what authority they feel able to do so.

Just thought I'd add that, as it's in the same 'vein'.

Steve.:)

marjon

We recently had a petition in Adelaide to stop the closure of the Adelaide Office of the National Archives, which resulted in the government changing their minds. thank goodness! Maybe the UK government should be looking at reducing the cost of certificates for family history purposes?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
There seems to be a delay in the time certs arrive from when you place your order. I think it is because we are all getting in before the price increases.

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Hi

I have signed it, even £7 was a lot when you order the wrong one, the new fee will make us all think twice before ordering a certificate, to many it will be prohibitive,

Gwen :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gortonboy Certificates 19
p.risboy FHUK General Chat Room 24
M FHUK General Chat Room 0