• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

phone directories

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gibbo

Yes Ancestry does have a wide coverage of telephone directories from 1880 to 1984. The more recent the directory, the more likely your ancestor is to be listed as more people acquired a phone after say the 1920s and 1930s.

Ben

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thank you , i think i would have to be a paid member to access the directories on ancestry which im not. I dont know what luck i will have finding this person anyway as i have only a surname and that he was a major. I have no first name or address or D.O.B etc. The name is Swain and it is a name that my step-grandfather had in a letter he wrote to my auntie. This name has shown up a couple of times in my research so i thought it could be worth checking out. Thanks
gibbo

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gibbo,

This is probaly a long way round, but the National Archives at Kew have some Major --- --- Swains on their documents, have a look at the names and post them and will see if they can be matched in the phone directories for Yorkshire.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Julie,
Thank you, it may be the long way round as you said but i will try that. I did have a look for Swain in the military section at the national archives site and there were so many of them but i will try what you suggested and see if i can narrow it down a bit. thanks

gibbo

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gibbo

The 1940 phone book for Yorkshire area has a few Swains listed.

Swain & Bradshaw Mtr Body Builders, Holme Lane, Owlerton.
C Swain, Ecclesall Road, Broomhill
F J Swain, City Road, Sheffield
George Swain, Southgrove Road, Broomhill
J L Swain, Canterbury Crescent, Broomhill
W J Swain Iona Causeway Head Road Dore Beauchiell

Ben

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Ben,

Thank you for that, i will work with the names you posted and see what comes of it. At least it is a start. I have been saying for months "if only my grandmother kept a diary" it would make this so easy but then it would probably take the excitment out of it.

gibbo

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hey Ben,
I just had a thought!! This Swain fellow lived on Widmerpool Lane Keyworth in 1935 to 1937. Would it be possible, if you dont mind to check the directories for that name and address for me please? There may be a first name or initial maybe that will help. Thanks
gibbo

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gibbo

I just had a look and they only have a 1939 phone book and I couldn't find any Swain's in Keyworth. I did type in just Swain in Keyworth but no matches.

The best thing to do would be to check electoral registers for that address but that would be hard if you are in Australia.

Ben

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hello everyone,

I found some more information out on the Swain fellow i had been looking for. His name was Gibert Alfred Swain and he lived in Pocklington Yorkshire in and around the 1935 to 1943 era. If possible could someone help and check the directories for me please as im hoping to get a address for him. thanks
gibbo