• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Photo

sikorae

Website
www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
Can anyone give me a date for the pic in my Avatar. Think its from my mams side of family, who were farmers. If I have a rough date I can probably say who they were.
PS I can post a bigger pic if needed.

Julie

Last edited:

sikorae

Website
www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
Is there a chance it could be earlier. The male in the photo (who I think it could be) would be at least 60yrs old (for 1885) and I don't think he looks that old. I know people usually looked older than their yrs in those days.(their clothes, hair etc)

patrickw

Hello,
Do you have the original of this photo? One of the first clues with old pics, is the pic themselves. Early prints (paper) were made on card with rounded corners and then onto plain paper stuck onto card. Yours seems to be a cabinet mount. These cost more than the carte de vista that were popular at the time and they were available from 1860 until 1914, but were not popular until the 1870s. The subjects would appear to be closely related. Victorian sensibilities meant that only man and wife,brother and sister etc, would appear in either such close proximity to each other or to be touching. I am not an expert on ladies fashion (or mens for that matter), but the shape of the ladies skirt and sleeves suggest the 1850/60, whilst her collar and tight cuffs suggest a later date, about 1875/80. Of course she could have altered the dress herself to modernise it. The mans jacket has a norfolk type collar, and while the norfolk jacket itself did not become popular until the 1890, this style of collar was widley used from 1865 ish . His coat buttons are doubled and spaced which again matches the 1870s.
Is it possible that this man was some type of railway worker. I notice the way his jacket is unbuttoned, and the number of buttons allowed to be left undone signifyed seniority on the railways during victorian times. The lady is carrying her bible and so it would seem that this photo was taken on a late spring sunday, following church or chapel. The folliage on the building looks like it may be Virginia creeper, which according to my gardening book, grows quickly to over 50 feet and turns golden in autumn. I realise this doesnt help you with date, but it might help a little with location, as I am told this species does not do very well north of the border.Much of this is, as it has to be conjecture of course, but I would guess the date of this photo to be about 1875/85. Hope some of this has been of help,
best wishes
Pat

sikorae

Website
www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
Hi juliejtp, unfortunately the only thing on the back of the pic are some numbers in pencil 68569 (don't suppose that means anything?)
Pat the photo appears to be in layers on the back. the edges have been 'worn' away, on one side edge(all thats left) it looks like a white/cream border.
The Skaifes were farmers in Hampsthwaite Yorkshire, Hampsthwaite has its own site with lots of info. I have traced the family through the bdm and the census on the site. On 1871 census 'Joseph' is a farmer of 30 acres, and the same on the 1881 census. I have had a look at the photo with a magnifying glass and he has 'mutton chop whiskers' and a small beard which doesn't cover his chin (if you know what I mean)
Of course the photo could be of the other side of my mams family, the men were all stone masons living in Ripon (they had there own yard) but I thought from the clothes they looked more like someone who lived in the country?

patrickw

Hello again,
I'm afraid those numbers dont mean anything to me, but I wondered if your mag. glass revealed what the sign or board is that seems to be in the foliage on the left of the picture. Perhaps another clue?
Best Wishes,
Pat

pejay

Valued Member
Hello, Pat you must have the eyes if a Hawk.I have looked with a mag glass but alas can see nothing,could it be a house no?afraid the numbers mean nothing to me either. Unless people had the money to be quite fashionable mostly clothes were fairly rustic,as people often had to make do. I have been puzzling about her hat, it is a puzzle do keep us informed eek )
ps could you do a bit of detective work, It may also be a photographic studio and not their house, any idea about a local town they could have gone to? if so
could you look at an old directory for photographer's?

patrickw

Hello again,
I have already checked a couple of yorkshire directories , because I also considered the studio aspect. The shadow and the mans foot partialy encroaching into the foliage would suggest its not a set up internal pose ( often done in front of rustic backdrop by townies) but that doesnt mean to say that some enterprising photographer did not bring a chair out into the street! A bible or book was also often used as a studio prop. This is a teaser isnt it, Ill keep digging!!!

sikorae

Website
www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
I also wondered whether it was a studio. I just assumed because they lived on a farm (if it is the Skaife's) that it was taken outside. I can see something in the foliage, I thought it looked like a reflection (a 'flash') Would you not get a 'flash' from the camera, would it not reflect off leaves, or does this mean it was taken in a studio.?

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
The picture was definately taken outside. Theres reflections on the window panes, the background is to life like to be a studio. I would think that usually in a studio the background is a painted scene and props added eg chair, pot plant etc. As to when it was taken I'm really not sure, but at a guess I would go for the 1870's