• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

"Pick your brains?"

From
England
Hi, does anyone have any information or knowledge of a site offering to host family trees called Tribalpages, or of a p.c. prog offered for sale called Genopro. I am looking for a method or place to build my tree on/in and am considering these. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks in anticipation

Hi,

I have not used tribalpages myself but one of my wife's relatives as a site and has given us access. They appear to get on fine with it. I would have a PC programme as well wouldn't want to risk loss for some reason.

Ed

I would be very careful of adding any family details to many of these free sites as once the information is uploaded - you transfer any rights to that information to them.

I did this some years ago on some very big sites and found later I could not close my account (which I did stop using). They continued to allow other people to pay a subscription to see my own family information.

As far as I know my family information is still there (and they still charge) and they will not remove it (even threatened solicitors!!). These are the very big sites we all know;)

So beware folks!!

Best way is to have your own site - You control and totally own the information - as it should be :)

look here if you want you own site

All the best,
Dave

Thanks for that admin. I had started to enter my details on tribal pages but after reading your comments I have revisited the site and removed my details (which I managed to do successfully) I looked at your reccomendation but I'm afraid financial contraints mean I can't commit to the monthly outgoings at this time. Thats why I was looking at the free sites. Thanks again.
Pat

Back