• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Place name decipher

DaveHall

Website
gen.deltanz.net
I have a printout from an OPR for a birth but I am having trouble trying to decipher the witnesses place name at the end of the paragraph.
Could someone please have a look at this and see if they can work out what place they mean.
I read it as Coubrisht, and I think it is a farm or such close to Glenrinnes in Banffshire, but I cannot find such a place on any old maps.

Any help appreciated.

(616kb) image at
http://gen.deltanz.net/pics/place_name.jpg

Thanks
Dave

marie44

I have a printout from an OPR for a birth but I am having trouble trying to decipher the witnesses place name at the end of the paragraph.
Could someone please have a look at this and see if they can work out what place they mean.
I read it as Coubrisht, and I think it is a farm or such close to Glenrinnes in Banffshire, but I cannot find such a place on any old maps.

Any help appreciated.

(616kb) image at
http://gen.deltanz.net/pics/place_name.jpg

Thanks
Dave
Dave, i magnified it several times and it reads 'Coulrishk'. magnified it is very plain and such beautiful handwriting. :)
marie44

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Thank you Marie.
I think you are correct with this name, just wish I could locate where it is.

Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave

I have found Bellandy which is about a mile of the road at Kirkhill of the B9009 between Shenval and Dufftown in the county of Muray (Scotland) from the looks of it that is the name of the house/farm so I think the name you are trying to decipher is also the name of a house or farm nearby, your best hope is a realy old ordinance survey map, maybe the local museum to the area can help?

Gwen :)

DaveHall

Website
gen.deltanz.net
Hi Gweny,

Thank you, but I know all about Bellandy and where it is. I even have some pictures of the area.

It is the place name "Coubrisht" that I wanted to locate and this could be close by.
However, I am unable to locate it on any old map.

Thanks
Dave

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Dear Dave
I found it a great help with my Welsh ancestry to obtain a 1830 ? Ordinance survey map which I think David and Charles in Newton Abbott supplied and was invaluable with house names included. You will need a Large magnifying glass!! If I can put my hands on the address I will let you know .
Nainmaddie

marie44

Hi Gweny,

Thank you, but I know all about Bellandy and where it is. I even have some pictures of the area.

It is the place name "Coubrisht" that I wanted to locate and this could be close by.
However, I am unable to locate it on any old map.

Thanks
Dave
try google on all the different spellings. you might locate it.
marie

DaveHall

Website
gen.deltanz.net
Dave,

Do you think it could be Cabrach.
I believe that Cabrach is an parish.

As far as I am aware with these OPR entries, when it is stated that the person is "in" Belandy for instance, it refers to their area of residence and not a parish..thus..
"Charles McConnachie in upper Belandy"
I know that Charles lived in upper Belandy which is a farming area supporting about 3 families.

One of the witnesses is James McConnachie in Coulrish(?).
I am quite certain that this must be a farm someplace close to the Glenrinnes area.

It is relevant because this may be some relative but as to what kind, (brother or cousin of Charles McConnachie?), and to know where this place is would help for census searches.

Unfortunately, after the highland clearances, this place/farm could have been wiped of the map when absorbed into the larger estate. Apparently many crofts have disappeared.

Thanks
Dave