• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

please dont all shout at me

sue ault

I dont know if I have mentioned this but I have sent of my fathers birth, marriage and death certificate. I have also sent of my birth to prove I am one of three of his next of kins.
I am ever hopeful of obtaining my fathers army records from the 2 nd world war. I have sent the appropiate form all filled in correctly, plus the said £ 39.

The bit that confuses me is that it could take 6-12 months for me to recieve if at all. Now this is where I ask you all not to go off at me and yes I know people are busy, but a year busy. i also understand the MOD search for more upto date records for families, but I keep thinking about all the certificates that are ordered. I only wait a week possibly. If the MOD had said 6 weeks or possibly 8 weeks maybe I would understand, but 6months and possibly a year.

dont all go off at me and start shouting but I am thinking all those Military personel that are about to be made redundant and loose their jobs, maybe if it was staff at the MOD instead the year wait would be well worth while just for those coming home from conflict not to loose thier jobs.

Am I making myself clear at all or are you all going to shout at me.

Sue x :confused:

I also had to wait almost 6 months for Grandads WW2 records,,,,the reason given for the delay was that due to the amount of conflicts the British Army have been involved in since WW2,,,,Korea,Aden,Falklands,Iraq,to name a few....there is a great deal of interest from families re service records,,,plus the fact there are hundreds of thousands of records out there.It does take a long time to deal with these requests. :)

Hi Sue

I agree it seems a long time.
I remember the wait seeming long some years ago after I applied for my father's medals. As well as the reasons given above there is apparently a fresh wave of interest/applications every year from beginning of poppy sales for Nov 11th through to a few weeks after the remembrance day parades.
Console yourself it will be worth the wait :)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Sue.

There are thousands of Army records, and not all are in neat and tidy boxes, ready to be plucked out at a moments notice.

I also think, they have to manually searched also. Not a case of punching in a number on a computer, and they pop up. Unlike B/M/D certs.

Just imagine how many soldiers enlisted.:eek::eek:

Also bear in mind, there may be heaps of info in his records, or a few slips of paper. And at worst, they may not be found at all.

Sorry to say.....but be patient.;):)

Steve.:)

duckweed

Loyal Member
Just a thought.

If they used British Legion they could get them put on computer and charge nice amounts towards helping wounded soldiers when they do a search instead of nice amounts for archivists doing dusty complicated search.