• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Please help - George Aexander Lowrie

I am fairly new to family history but found my great grandparents and started looking back from them My Great Grandfather was George Aexander Lowrie born 15th Nov 1872 at Rock, Northumberland. I found him on the 1881 census with his mother, sister and brother. from the 1871 census I found his father and mother sisters and brother. I worked out his father died between 1871 -1881 and found his death in 1873 - 21st Sept. I found the marriage of John Lowrey and Mary Bell Jures in 1860 .
What puzzles me is on the marriage certificate for George Alexander and Sarah Jane Todd in 1896 George's father is described as "John Lowrie" and occupation a "miller". I thought it would mention Deceased and Miller isn't used on any of the census records as occupation. Agricultural Labourer or Hind is used. I am now worried I am on a wrong track completely but am not sure. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Re: Please help

Hi,George A Lowrie c1873 Rock, married at Whalton, brides parish. Spelling is really not important at that time. Neither is Job ,when parent has been deceased a long time ,and the people involved are not well educated. Have followed family back to 1871 Census ,and found your research correct .Also looked at the 1911 Census of George A Lowrey and that seems correct also.:)

Ellie