• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

**** Please read! We are launching a new website and forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Is it possible to clear the alerts list? ** It will grow like crazy for every member who has it enabled.

I received an email notification of a reply to a topic which didn't seem to fit my preference settings.

Automatically watch content you create...

Receive an alert when someone...
  • Replies to a watched thread
email notification box not checked.

Watch this thread...
  • without receiving email notifications

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Re the search function - I tried 'St Nicholas' and result was that it said short words such as 'st' were ignored yet all 'st' even in middle of words were bold as was 'Nicholas' but on looking at the posts to the topic the searched term was not highlighted - was in red with previous software.

Dave

emeltee

Loyal Member
I'm still finding my way around but I'm not sure that is quite as user friendly as the old site. That may be because I was used to the old site. Posting new threads isn't quite as straight forward. I've just started a new Thread in Deaths. You enter the title for the thread then have to search to find where to write the message as it is not, at first, obvious. There is a box which reads Post Thread which I clicked on but when I checked that the thread was there in new posts it wasn't. When I went back into my history and found the thread, I clicked on it and lo, when the page came up another box appeared saying Post Thread. Clicking on that did the job.

I'm probably not explaing myself very well but I just found the old site easier to use. If I came across this site, never having seen it before, I'm not sure whether I would register and use it.

Emeltee

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
A few things are not quite as easy. Adding an extra tag to an existing list is a bit tricky. After several attempts I now know how to do it.

I'm not sure yet about the need for drafts.

I'd like the see the searched keyword highlighted in the actual posts as per old software.

Testing. This one ...

SMITH JOHN R 11688/1863 WILLIAM MARY A PARRAMATTA
appeared as per what is in quotes on old site but here it appears this way:

SMITH JOHN R
11688/1863
WILLIAM
MARY A
PARRAMATTA

It seems I'll have to copy to my tree or to a .txt file and then edit and then paste here rather than paste here then edit so it's not a straight copy-paste.

Previously I would paste to the topic in question then edit it then paste to my tree together with any new info in replies.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I created a topic in 1901 census that was a duplicate then deleted it.

The system did not ask me to type in my password as per old site.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Census records look a mess if you paste and then do the editing so it's not a straight copy-paste.

NameJames GrayEvent TypeCensusEvent Date1871Event PlaceSt Nicholas, Worcestershire, EnglandEnumeration District4GenderMaleAge27Marital StatusMarriedOccupationDraperRelationship to Head of HouseholdHeadBirth Year (Estimated)1844BirthplaceScotlandEntry Number11Affiliate Image IdentifierGBC/1871/3049/0182
Household
Role

James GrayHeadM27ScotlandSusanna GrayWifeF19ScotlandWilliam GrayNephewM19ScotlandElizabeth GraySisterF19Scotland

I added the following:
RG11 Piece 3049 Folio 87 Page 24

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I don't know what is going on but today I'm not seeing the formatting of this page as I did yesterday.
Looks like 'enter' is new line and enter so now it looks double spaced but later goes back to looking single spaced.
Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well, I don't know what is going on as now it looks ok.

I didn't change browsers, all I did was to click on 'Forums' next to 'Home' at the top and then post again to this topic and the formatting of the page was back to normal.

Dave

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Well, I don't know what is going on as now it looks ok.

I didn't change browsers, all I did was to click on 'Forums' next to 'Home' at the top and then post again to this topic and the formatting of the page was back to normal.

Dave
I believe it is because we have been doing some changes on the backend Dave Should be all done now :)(y)

familyhistoryuk

Staff member
Administrator
Website
familyhistory.uk.com
  • All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules
    Please read the following:
    Read the current rules of the forum
    Thank you
    If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Oops! We ran into some problems.
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Where is this please can you send us the link to that page? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.