• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

**** Please read! We are launching a new website and forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Census records look a mess if you paste and then do the editing so it's not a straight copy-paste.

NameJames GrayEvent TypeCensusEvent Date1871Event PlaceSt Nicholas, Worcestershire, EnglandEnumeration District4GenderMaleAge27Marital StatusMarriedOccupationDraperRelationship to Head of HouseholdHeadBirth Year (Estimated)1844BirthplaceScotlandEntry Number11Affiliate Image IdentifierGBC/1871/3049/0182
Household
Role

James GrayHeadM27ScotlandSusanna GrayWifeF19ScotlandWilliam GrayNephewM19ScotlandElizabeth GraySisterF19Scotland

I added the following:
RG11 Piece 3049 Folio 87 Page 24

Dave
Had a test Dave
test of Census record:
ordinary copy and paste CTRL C / CTRL V
Piece:
RG12/2664 Place: Basford -Nottinghamshire Enumeration District: 9
Civil Parish: Ilkeston Ecclesiastical Parish: Ilkeston
Folio: 96 Page: 19 Schedule: 102
Address: 40 Bridge St

Surname First name(s) Rel Status *** Age Occupation Where Born Remarks FEARNE George Head M M 24 Coal Miner(Em'ee) Derbyshire - Ilkeston FEARNE Mary Jane Wife M F 27 Derbyshire - Ilkeston HALLAM John W Son S M 6 Scholar Derbyshire - Shipley HALLAM Cisley Niece S F 5 Scholar Derbyshire - Ilkeston

Copy inside a QUOTE
Piece: RG12/2664 Place: Basford -Nottinghamshire Enumeration District: 9
Civil Parish: Ilkeston Ecclesiastical Parish: Ilkeston
Folio: 96 Page: 19 Schedule: 102
Address: 40 Bridge St

Surname First name(s) Rel Status *** Age Occupation Where Born Remarks FEARNE George Head M M 24 Coal Miner(Em'ee) Derbyshire - Ilkeston FEARNE Mary Jane Wife M F 27 Derbyshire - Ilkeston HALLAM John W Son S M 6 Scholar Derbyshire - Shipley HALLAM Cisley Niece S F 5 Scholar Derbyshire - Ilkeston

Last edited:

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Re the search function - I tried 'St Nicholas' and result was that it said short words such as 'st' were ignored yet all 'st' even in middle of words were bold as was 'Nicholas' but on looking at the posts to the topic the searched term was not highlighted - was in red with previous software.

Dave
Hi Dave,

You are best when searching on any website - Google and all, even FHUK Forums
Is to enter the searched word in to Quotes as follows mate
"St Nicholas"
That will give you the result, in most cases, anywhere you search mate(y):)

1542657860374.png

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Search results for query: "st Nicholas"
  1. The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: st

https://forum.familyhistory.uk.com/threads/william-darling-susanna-down.30714/

Caroline b. 20 Dec 1809 c. 3 Jan 1810 St Nicholas Yarmouth, Norfolk
William DARLING & Susanna DOWN
Batch: C000245
Two issues here. Why does it still say 'st' was not included?

Also the search term "st Nicholas" is no longer highlighted in red within the post as before.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Re the census test my point has been missed.

The census I put in quotes is how the census would appear on the old site and the census not in quotes is how it appears on this site - a real mess with 'enter' or 'carriage returns' ignored.

Dave

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Re the census test my point has been missed.

The census I put in quotes is how the census would appear on the old site and the census not in quotes is how it appears on this site - a real mess with 'enter' or 'carriage returns' ignored.

Dave
I'm sorry Dave I don't quite get you mate

All I did was to copy and paste 2 ways and achieved both times on here without me having to fiddle around with adjusting it all - by adding spaces or carriage returns

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Search results for query: "st Nicholas"
  1. The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: st

https://forum.familyhistory.uk.com/threads/william-darling-susanna-down.30714/

Two issues here. Why does it still say 'st' was not included?

Also the search term "st Nicholas" is no longer highlighted in red within the post as before.

Dave
I'm not sure mate. I use loads of forums and many will not even accept anything if it's below 3 letters, so I'm not sure if this is good or bad! well I am happy that it gave you a result(y) So its surely a good thing:)

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Ok. On the old site a copy and paste would produce this:

Surname First name(s) Rel Status *** Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
FEARNE George Head M M 24 Coal Miner(Em'ee) Derbyshire - Ilkeston
FEARNE Mary Jane Wife M F 27 Derbyshire - Ilkeston
HALLAM John W Son S M 6 Scholar Derbyshire - Shipley
HALLAM Cisley Niece S F 5 Scholar Derbyshire - Ilkeston

On this site same copy and paste produces this:

Dave

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Surname First name(s) Rel Status *** Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
FEARNE George Head M M 24 Coal Miner(Em'ee) Derbyshire - Ilkeston
FEARNE Mary Jane Wife M F 27 Derbyshire - Ilkeston
HALLAM John W Son S M 6 Scholar Derbyshire - Shipley
HALLAM Cisley Niece S F 5 Scholar Derbyshire - Ilkeston
I can copy yours here Dave
the other thing to bear in mind, is that this forum software works on ALL formats - ie browsers on PC's, laptops, tablets and phones!!
Try it - make sure (if on a PC/Mac) that your widow is NOT Maximised, then grab the side of the window and move it to the left, making the window width smaller.
See how all the pictures and text gets pushed down the further you go, to the end - it mimics a typical smartphone view.
this is the way forward folks(y)(y)o_O

familyhistoryuk

Staff member
Administrator
Website
familyhistory.uk.com
I don't understand how I can log in with this user name without Two-step verification yet can't with Dave9Ham.
Sorry @DaveHam9 - We had issues with permissions last night it was forcing us all to enable 2 step verification. That has now been turned off. I have also disabled it from your @DaveHam9 account so you won't have any further issues. (y)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
In the mean time, I'll 'Like' you both. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah....Thank You is better....less like facebook.;):)

Oh, one more thing. Is it possible to increase the size of the Post Thread button, and possibly use a more vivid/obvious colour, like this one, or this.

Last edited:

emeltee

Loyal Member
Is there a section for names people are looking for or have I missed it? I know you can put names of interest on your profile but is there anything else.
My names of interest used to come up at the end of each post I made but they don't any more even though they are on my Profile page.
Emeltee

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.