• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Plumbe Street, liverpool

Does anyone know were this street was in Liverpool please? I had family living there in the 1881 census; I have searched Google but nothing.

regards

Brian

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Does anyone know were this street was in Liverpool please? I had family living there in the 1881 census; I have searched Google but nothing.

regards

Brian
Hi Brian,
I think Plumbe St was in the Vauxhall area of Liverpool docklands.
Further investigation is needed as redevelopement could have possibly wiped the street out.

Steve.:)

emeltee

Loyal Member
Hi,
I have had a look in the Edwardian A-Z of liverpool but cannot find a Plumbe Street. There is a Plum Street in Bootle, near to Seaforth Road.
Emeltee

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looks like it dosnt exist now, but it may have been around the area where the Church of Our Lady and St. Nicholas is, which might well be the Vauxhall area that Steve mentioned.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi,
I have had a look in the Edwardian A-Z of liverpool but cannot find a Plumbe Street. There is a Plum Street in Bootle, near to Seaforth Road.
Emeltee
I have found a reference to Plumbe Street in this link for a book on Sectarian Violence in Liverpool in the 19th century.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...sJ3VAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3

If you look at the names of the other streets listed, you will find most of them in the same area on googlemaps if you search for Vauxhall Liverpool.
As Emeltee suggested, Bootle is in the same area, only about 700-800 metres away. So the spelling may have changed.

Steve.:)

Last edited:

nikbj

Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Thursday, October 4, 1838 reports on an accident at Leeds Street Chapel. It mentions that the outer wall, which caved in, was opposite Plumbe Street.

Together with this itinerary: http://www.old-liverpool.co.uk/walk1843.html this suggests that Plumbe Street lead of Leeds Street between Old Hall Street and Vauxhall Street. It is not there today.

Hi it would make sense about Highfield Street as Im researching a famiy member who was living in Plumbe street on the 1841 census and most of the family lived in the area, mostly Highfield gardens the family name im looking at is Chatterton ive drawn a blank on anything else as William Chattertons occupation is listed as boatman so they could have travelled around , However I have his wife as Sarah Rainford and my great grandmother as Elizabeth Chatterton who married a welshman in Liverpool called Ellis Williams They stayed around leeds street area .

Hi. I have also been searching for Plumbe Street.
It appears on
https://historic-liverpool.co.uk/ol...ars-guide-to-liverpool-1858/#5/68.188/-87.517
Hilliars Guide shows it runs from Leeds Street up to St. Paul's Street, then continues as Key Street to TitheBarn Street. It runs parallel to Old Hall Street, Pall Mall and Highfield Street. St. Paul's Street runs from Old Hall Street to the junction of Plumbe Street and Key Street, then continues as Prussia Street to Highfield Street. At the Leeds Street end, Plumbe Street has direct access to the Coal Yards in that area.
By 1860,
https://historic-liverpool.co.uk/old-maps-of-liverpool/weekly-dispatch-atlas-1860/#5/-4.916/-110.984
Plumbe Street and Key street form one side of Exchange Station, with St. Paul's Square on the other.
From later Maps, it may well be that Plumbe Street made way for more rail lines to Exchange Station. Pall Mall and Prussia Street continued on later Maps, Pall Mall forming one side of Exchange Station, and St. Paul's Square the other.

Momac

regards

Brian
I am also looking for this street in Liverpool but I don’t think it exists anymore.

regards,
Maureen

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Deaths 7
DaveHam9 Documents 3
DaveHam9 Documents 5
A Scottish Genealogy Roots 17
DaveHam9 Deaths 13
horrobin Occupations & Work 0