• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Pocket Money.

leefer

Loyal Member
When i was 11 i left foster care and was put into The Limes Childrens Home,
Although a difficult time it did have its perks....i can never forget my feelings of joy of being informed that 11 year olds get 50p pocket money per week...i couldnt believe it..ide never had money before and 50p was a fair bit back then,the first week i baught fish and chips and sweets and was ill for a week...after that The Shoot footy comic was a fave and i once saved it for weeks to buy a air horn...what us boys do at 11.....Friday would be run home from school day,always egg and chips followed by CRACKERJACK on TV...then we would have to get the jim jams on and form an orderly queue to pick our pocket money up before going to our rooms.....i stared at that shiny 50p for hours before slipping into a contented sleep......Saturay i would go mental and indulge myself in spending it.......did you lot get pocket money...mine went up to 75p when i hit 12!!!!!!

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Lee
We would get 20cents every Friday. Mum would pick us up from school and we would get our pocket money and head to the shop. We would get a HUGE bag of lollies for our money.

gibbo

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I got 2/6d or 12.5p in funny money. And when I hit 13, I had to earn my own.
Got a saturday job, £4 for 6hrs. Great money. Dinky Toys, Corgi Toys, Airfix kits, Beezer and Dandy, Topper and Beano. And the little war comics called Commando.:)

Steve.:)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gibbo and Steve.....funny how we can remember it so clearly..regards to you both.
I also used to supplement my income with a bit of skulldugery. My Aunt lived next door to a pub, and they stacked the crates of light ale bottles against her fence.
If the pub a busy week, they were stacked up over the top of the fence. So I used to climb on the old wood chopping block and 'borrow' a few.
I would then take them round to the off-licence and get the money back on the bottles.
I chuckled to myself as I run back around aunties, to hear him putting them back in the crates. And so the wheel turned, and turned.

gibbo

Loyal Member
I also used to supplement my income with a bit of skulldugery. My Aunt lived next door to a pub, and they stacked the crates of light ale bottles against her fence.
If the pub a busy week, they were stacked up over the top of the fence. So I used to climb on the old wood chopping block and 'borrow' a few.
I would then take them round to the off-licence and get the money back on the bottles.
I chuckled to myself as I run back around aunties, to hear him putting them back in the crates. And so the wheel turned, and turned.

So were they empty bottles or full when you "borrowed" them? :confused:
what is the off-licence?:confused:

gibbo

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Corona bottles were my vice Steve....10p on return.
Was that from the delivery lorry Lee.
I took the odd empty one from them as well. My concience wouldn't let me 'knick' a full one.

Me and my mates would go searching bins and ditches, alleys and such. Always came up with an armful of 'Corona's' each. And the R.Whites lemonade bottles.
We did our bit for recycling.:biggrin:

Hi All

I never had pocket money, My first money I had was when I left school at 15 and even then I had to give 3/4 of my wages to my parents for my 'keep'. The remaining £2.50 was for clothes and fares to work etc.

Gwen :)

gibbo

Loyal Member
Empties Gibbo, never touched Light Ale.

Off licence was a 'shop' that was attached to the pub. You went in and bought bottles of beer, crisps, ciggies etc to take away, off of Licenced premises, hence Off-Licence.

Empties Gibbo, never touched Light Ale.

Well why not they would have been lighter to carry than the others:2fun: :2fun: that was my funny for the day:'(

gibbo