• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Possible ancestor immigration to America. !!!! ideas.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

My 3xgreat grandfather was Thomas Musgrave who was on the 1891 census in Auckland, Durham, a miner aged 63.

He was baptised in December 1827 son of Thomas and Jane Musgrave.

He had a daughter Elizabeth in Apr May June Quarter 1852 who wed a Robert Wilson in 1870.

A Thomas Musgrave is on the 1900 US census in Allegheny, Philadelphia aged 72 and he gives his month of birth as December 1827. He is the father in law of Robert Sutherland born in 1859. Roberts wife is Elizabeth Sutherland who gives her year of birth as April 1852. Ties in with the birth of Elizabeth Musgrave in 1852.

A Robert Sutherland wed an Elizabeth Wilson in December 1887 in Allegheny. The 1900 census points to their years of marriage being 12. Robert had a brother William born in 1858. It looks like the two Sutherland brothers are on the 1881 census in Auckland, Durham, England.

I can find no trace of Elizabeth or Robert Wilson in 1881 in England. The US census says Robert and Elizabeth Sutherland emigrated in about 1881.

What do you think?

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think I am right in what I have researched.

Thomas Musgrave had a daughter who emigrated and he then joined her later on. In 1876 when Thomas's son wed one of the witnesses was Elizabeth Wilson nee Musgrave. She put an X next to her name when signing. The 1900 census says that she couldn't write.

I am soooooo excited. A direct ancestor who emigrated. He was living in Fayette, Allegheny, Pennsylvania USA in 1900. The 1910 US census doesn't list him so I assume he died inbetween 1900 and 1910. The 1900 census for America gives the month and year of birth and it all ties in beautifully.

Thomas's wife died in 1885 in Tanfield, Durham.

Now I want to find his death, the full marriage details of his daughter to Robert Sutherland and her death.

gibbo

Loyal Member
I think I am right in what I have researched.

Thomas Musgrave had a daughter who emigrated and he then joined her later on. In 1876 when Thomas's son wed one of the witnesses was Elizabeth Wilson nee Musgrave. She put an X next to her name when signing. The 1900 census says that she couldn't write.

I am soooooo excited. A direct ancestor who emigrated. He was living in Fayette, Allegheny, Pennsylvania USA in 1900. The 1910 US census doesn't list him so I assume he died inbetween 1900 and 1910. The 1900 census for America gives the month and year of birth and it all ties in beautifully.

Thomas's wife died in 1885 in Tanfield, Durham.

Now I want to find his death, the full marriage details of his daughter to Robert Sutherland and her death.
HI Ben
Just got to love it when it comes together! good luck finding his death, i have no doubt you will find it.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gibbo

I did hear than many people came back to England for brief visits after emigrating. How common was this?

Thomas had a daughter in America and he eventually went to live with her whilst his other married children remained in England. Plus the Sutherland brothers were on the 1881 census in Auckland, Durham near to where my Musgrave's lived. That ties in. Elizabeth wed Robert Wilson in 1870 in Durham, England and then she wed Robert in America in 1887.

This certainly explains why I cannot find a death for Thomas in England.

How many other Elizabeth Musgrave's were born in 1852 to a Thomas born in 1827 who wed a Wilson then a Sutherland in America who also came from Durham. None. None at all. it is the same Elizabeth and father Thomas. Elizabeth saying in 1900 she couldn't write ties in with her just putting an X when acting witness to her brother George's wedding in Durham in 1886.

I have proved a direct ancestor emigration.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Yes I now need to research my American rellies. But what is great is the fact that a direct ancestor of mine emigrated 4000 miles to the States.

marie44

Hi

My 3xgreat grandfather was Thomas Musgrave who was on the 1891 census in Auckland, Durham, a miner aged 63.

He was baptised in December 1827 son of Thomas and Jane Musgrave.

He had a daughter Elizabeth in Apr May June Quarter 1852 who wed a Robert Wilson in 1870.

A Thomas Musgrave is on the 1900 US census in Allegheny, Philadelphia aged 72 and he gives his month of birth as December 1827. He is the father in law of Robert Sutherland born in 1859. Roberts wife is Elizabeth Sutherland who gives her year of birth as April 1852. Ties in with the birth of Elizabeth Musgrave in 1852.

A Robert Sutherland wed an Elizabeth Wilson in December 1887 in Allegheny. The 1900 census points to their years of marriage being 12. Robert had a brother William born in 1858. It looks like the two Sutherland brothers are on the 1881 census in Auckland, Durham, England.

I can find no trace of Elizabeth or Robert Wilson in 1881 in England. The US census says Robert and Elizabeth Sutherland emigrated in about 1881.

What do you think?

Ben
Ben, looks like you probably have the right people. they would show up in the 1900 census. if they arent to old they could show up in the 1910 census also. doesnt look like any problem to me.

marie44:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Marie

Good advice from an American. It is so intriguing that a direct ancestor of mine, my 3xgreat grandfather emigrated to the USA. I actually have a direct ancestor who lived there and no doubt died there and is buried there.

The birth dates given in the 1900 census tally correctly as does the fact that Thomas's daughter couldnt write as in England she put an X next to her signature when she witnessed her brothers wedding. I am now awaiting her marriage in 1870.

We can now compare notes. Your Joseph Renshaw may have emigrated to the US if not born there and my Thomas Musgrave emigrated to the US in about 1887.

Ben