• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Potts, Sunderland

From
England
I'm trying to find a family member named Margaret, her surname could be either Potts or Metcalf as her mother was married twice. I have my suspicions though that Margaret could have been born after 1901 :(

Other family members are:

John Potts age abt 29
Elizabeth A Potts age abt 25
Mary Metcalf age abt 8
James Metcalf age abt 4
Ruth Potts age abt 2
John W Potts age abt 1?

As always any help would be gratefully appreciated

Jo

Hi they are still there in 1901 in monkwearmouth sunderland, mulgrave street but no margaret, so looks like you may be right and she was born after 1901 or in 1901 but after the census was recorded in march of that year. will see if i can find her after that sue.

For the genies here is the link to 1901
RG13/4721/189/27
Mary Metcalf b 1893 Monkwearmouth
ditto James aged 4yrs.

Free BMD has a marriage june qtr 1898 Sunderland
Elizabeth Ann Metcalf / John William Potts

Not sure if this is correct.
Ozn

Hi
my thoughts

Dec qtr 1892 Elizabeth Ann Skillings married James Metcalf Sunderland ref 10a 912
Had two children
Jun qtr 1898 Elizabeth Ann Metcalf married John Potts Sunderland ref 10a 1097

There are a few Margarets which could fit the bill. There is a gap between the two Metcalf children and there are two margarets in this period. I have discounted them as why weren't they on 1901 or 1911 census. So now looking at Potts
There is a Margaret born 1914, but I have discounted her as her mother was a Johnson. This leaves us with a Margaret Potts born Jun Qtr 1911 Sunderland ref 10a 780, about 10 months after Maria was born..
I would go for this cert first as I feel it is the most likely

dave

After digging through some old stuff I had on my pc it seems this could be the wrong family altogether :rolleyes:. The Margaret (Ann) Metcalf I should be searching for was born abt 1883 and married a George Pickering in 1903. If she appears in any census' with her parents in Sunderland it would be the 1891 and 1901 census

Thanks for the replies x

Hi
my thoughts

Dec qtr 1892 Elizabeth Ann Skillings married James Metcalf Sunderland ref 10a 912
Had two children
Jun qtr 1898 Elizabeth Ann Metcalf married John Potts Sunderland ref 10a 1097

There are a few Margarets which could fit the bill. There is a gap between the two Metcalf children and there are two margarets in this period. I have discounted them as why weren't they on 1901 or 1911 census. So now looking at Potts
There is a Margaret born 1914, but I have discounted her as her mother was a Johnson. This leaves us with a Margaret Potts born Jun Qtr 1911 Sunderland ref 10a 780, about 10 months after Maria was born..
I would go for this cert first as I feel it is the most likely

dave

Thanks Dave, I had came to the same conclusion, but after going through some old emails from a family member it seems the Margaret Potts I should be looking for was born 1883 and she married someone called Pickering. I have found a marriage for a Margaret Ann Metcalf who married George Pickering in June 1903. What I can't find is a link between this Margaret Metcalf to her sister, my husbands Grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Metcalf who was born 1889 or 1892, there's confusion over his grandmothers date of birth as they think she may have lied about her age to enable her to be married.

Hi
think I may have something

MCCULLY, Ann Head Widow F 67 1834 Sunderland Durham
MCCULLY, John J Son Single M 42 1859 Labourer (Shipyard) Sunderland Durham
METCALFE, John Grand Son Single M 16 1885 Rivet Heater (Shipyard) Sunderland Durham
METCALFE, Robert Son Single M 12 1889 Sunderland Durham
METCALFE, Mary Grand Daughter Single F 10 1891 Sunderland Durham

RG number: RG13
Piece: 4706
Folio: 176
Page: 64

Registration District: Sunderland
Sub District: North Bishop Wearmouth
Enumeration District: 10
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Andrews

Civil Parish: Sunderland Municipal Borough:
Address: 7, Hill Field Terrace, Sunderland
County: Durham

another couple of post to come

dave

Last edited:
MCPHERSON, James Head Married M 44 1857 Glass Maker Gateshead Durham
MCPHERSON, Elizabeth Wife Married F 43 1858 Leamside Durham
MCPHERSON, Elizabeth A Daughter Single F 17 1884 Bottle Packer Bottleworks Sunderland Durham
MCPHERSON, Hannah Daughter Single F 15 1886 Bottle Packer Bottleworks Sunderland Durham
MCPHERSON, Mary Daughter Single F 11 1890 Sunderland Durham
MCPHERSON, Beatrice Daughter F 9 1892 Sunderland Durham
MCPHERSON, Cecilia Daughter F 7 1894 Sunderland Durham
METCALF, Margaret A Boarder F 17 1884 Vauxe Brewery Bottle Washer Sunderland Durham

Enumeration District: 9
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Stephens

Civil Parish:Sunderland Municipal Borough:
Address: 27, Hanover Place, Sunderland

dave

Last edited:
MCCULLY, Joseph Head Married M 54 1837 Labourer Smethwick Staffordshire
MCCULLY, Jane Wife Married F 50 1841 Sunderland County Durham
MCCULLY, John J Son Single M 31 1860 Shipwright Sunderland Durham
MCCULLY, Joseph Son Single M 27 1864 Iron Ship Builder Sunderland
METCALF, Margaret Visitor F 7 1884 Scholar Sunderland County Durham

RG number: RG12
Piece: 4130
Folio: 85
Page: 37

Enumeration District: 15
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Andrews

Civil Parish: Bishop Wearmouth
Municipal Borough: Sunderland
Address: 5 1/2, Westbury Street, Bishop Wearmouth, Sunderland

So it looks as if Margaret and Mary were children of one of the McCully's, now which one..

dave

Hi - and lastly

MC CULLY, Joseph Head Married M 46 1835 Glass Flatner Birmingham Warwickshire
MC CULLY, Annie Wife Married F 46 1835 Glass Flatners Wife Sland Durham
MC CULLY, John J Son Single M 22 1859 Glass Maker Sland Durham
MC CULLY, Mary Daughter Single F 19 1862 Domestic (Servt) Sland Durham
MC CULLY, Joseph Son Single M 17 1864 Boilermakers (App) SlandDurham
JOHNSON, William Brother In Law Single M 29 1852 Genr Laborer Sland Durham
MC CULLY, Robert Son Single M 12 1869 Scholar Sland Durham

RG number: RG11
Piece: 4990 Folio: 92
Page: 88

Civil Parish: Bishop Wearmouth Municipal Borough:
Address: 6, Westbury St, Bishop Wearmouth

I'm chuffed with that, hope it's all correct

dave

Last edited:
Dave I think you could be a genious! We've been trying to solve this family mystery for years and you do it in a day lol ..... It certainly looks like it could be the Margaret & Mary we've been searching as when I've checked Mary's marriage certificate is has her fathers name as being John Metcalf.

Now this leaves me with finding ... where were John & Mary in 1891 if their children were with grandparents in 1901 ... were they there for a day visiting or were they living with grandparents ... there are rumours in the family that Mary Elizabeth was adopted, maybe she wasn't adopted as such but living with her grandparents. Maybe both her parents died just after her birth .. oh why can't the hubby have an easy family to search like me! lol

*update*

have discovered deaths for John and Mary Metcalf in 1900 and 1897 so it looks like the above information was correct & the children were living with the maternal grandparents after their own parents deaths.

Thanks again Dave, if not for your help I don't think I'd ever have found out about my hubby's grandmother & her parents

Jo xxxx

Last edited:
Back