• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

POWER family

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

Marriages Sep 1879
MOUZER Maria Annie Richmond, S. 2a 492
POWER Joseph Porter Richmond, S. 2a 492

Births Jun 1880 ??
POWER William Francis Greenwich 1d 1013
POWER William Frederick Greenwich 1d 1024

RG11 Piece / Folio 0715 / 78 Page 32
Census Place Deptford St Paul, Kent, England
Dwelling 112 Shardeloes Road
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Joseph P. POWER Head M Male 25 Rotherhithe, Surrey, England Architects Assistant
Maria A. POWER Wife M Female 26 Framsden, Suffolk, England
William F. POWER Son Male 11m New Cross, Kent, England
Kate RAYMOND Serv U Female 19 Deptford, Kent, England General Domestic Servant

The family arrived in Australia 1881 - 1887. ???

Birth and death of daughter Elsie in NSW:

Birth 15163/1887 POWER ELSIE K - JOSEPH P - MARIA A - BATHURST

Death 12351/1961 FURNER ELSIE KATE - JOSEPH PORTER - MARIA ANNIE - CHATSWOOD

Regards,

Dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
This might be of some interest if you havent already seen it Dave.

They were the children of Architect, Joseph Porter Power born on 22nd January, 1856 at 6 Neptune Street, Rotherhithe, Surrey, England and Maria Annie Monzer born 29th. March, 1855 in Framsden, Suffolk, England. Married 26th July 1879 in Barnes, Richmond, Surrey. England. The family migrated to Australia about 1886

http://www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/handle/10070/227129

gibbo

Loyal Member
Even if we cant find them on a passenger list at least you got some birth dates:2fun::2fun:

His death notice dont tell much, says been in the country for 30 to 40 years:2fun::2fun:

gibbo

Loyal Member
John Sulman come over here on the ship RMS Austral in 1885. Around the same time give or take a bit to when Power supposedly arrived. I thought it would be interesting to see if Power was on the same ship but cant find that ship online:rolleyes:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
There is just so much sea to see it must get boring. So there are deck games:

HERE ;)

Nearly 700 on board. The names of three who died on the way out. Two went overboard.

HERE

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
They were the children of Architect, Joseph Porter Power born on 22nd January, 1856 at 6 Neptune Street, Rotherhithe, Surrey, England and Maria Annie Monzer born 29th. March, 1855 in Framsden, Suffolk, England. Married 26th July 1879 in Barnes, Richmond, Surrey, England. The family migrated to Australia about 1886.
Do you happen to know what state the family arrived in and on what vessel?

Elsie Kate was born on 29th April, 1887 at Upper Lambert Street, Bathurst, NSW.
The family is in my tree by Elsie's marriage to a FURNER.

shazzt

Sorry, I have not found out how the family came to be in Australia. I have been in communication with my grandmother's cousin who was writing a book on JP Power but she never mentioned that aspect. Last I heard the book was being edited but I haven't heard from her in a while. I do have a couple of (badly photocopied - not through my choice) photos relating to the Power family if you would like them.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Ok, thanks, we will search again for their arrival.

I don't know how accurate this is - HERE

It seems to say no children were born between William 1880 England and Elsie 1887 NSW.

Add Allan, Edward and Florence - says family of 7.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I notice the birth and marriage registration have the name as MOUSER and MOUZER not MONZER.

There are marriages in Suffolk using all four variations. Hard to know if one family changed the spelling on purpose or if it's just the way it sounded and was recorded. Could also be the way a handwritten document was transcribed - the 'u' into an 'n' - because I have that issue with several names in my tree.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
A mention of Joseph - HERE

... From 1889 to 1908 Sulman practised with Joseph Porter Power. ...

And Ku-ring-gai Historical Society Inc - HERE

Joseph Porter Power 1856-1923, by Joy Power 31.1 pp 36-37

Last edited:

shazzt

Ok, thanks, we will search again for their arrival.

I don't know how accurate this is - HERE

It seems to say no children were born between William 1880 England and Elsie 1887 NSW.

Add Allan, Edward and Florence - says family of 7.
That article was written by Joy Walker (nee Power), my grandmother's cousin. I had contact with her over the years and she was the one writing the book on J P Power. I emailed her the other day but haven't heard back - hoping she is still well.

I believe Maria's maiden name was Mouser (sometimes spelled Mouzer). The family were from Framsden in Suffolk. Quite a few years ago, I worte to the people doing the One Name study of Mouser and they sent me some information. I probably should write again to see if they have found anything further. If you have access to Ancestry, I have a Power family tree there which has my information to date: http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/53019518/family

My g grandfather ended up in New Zealand. You may be interested to know he called one of his daughters Elsie.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks for the info. It looks like the 'Monser' is an error.

Yes, I've seen lots of requests for info posted on various sites up until a few years ago.

One reference says 1885 and so far I can't find any earlier one so it looks as though the search should be concentrated on the years 1885 and 1886.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Finding Dr John Joseph Power in Queensland and a Mr J P Power ships captain but not the one we want. :rolleyes:

and Mr. J. P. Power, M.P., the newly-elected
member for county Waterford, ...

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
A Mr and Mrs Power and child going to NZ from Melbourne in Dec 1886.

Lots of hits for a Mrs Power in coastal shipping between north Queensland and southern states.

I'll search some more when I return from local library. I have some early NSW marriages to look up.