• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Preston Army Pay Office

My Grandfather was born in Guernsey and adopted in 1905 by Mr & Mrs Wade who were in the army, possibly based at Guernsey at the time. A copy of his informal hand-written 'Adoption Note' was later stamped ARMY PAY OFFICE, PRESTON (- the stamp is dated but the date is unclear). Does anyone know where these records would be now and if it is possible to get copies of them?
Kind regards, :)
Robinetta

patrickw

Hiya Robinetta,
the barracks at Preston is still operational so you could also try writing to the adjutant there. Nowadays its a logistics corp barracks, but the pay office is still operational and they may hold old records. Its Fulwood Barracks in Preston but I dont know full postal address. Hope this helps a little.
best wishes
Pat

Hiya Pat

Just done a search and Fulwood Barracks is now also the home of the:

Museum of the Lancashire Regiment
Fulwood Barracks
PRESTON
PR2 8AA
Tel: 01772 260362

An excellent start for me, thanks. Have posted it in case it comes in handy for someone else. ;)

Kind regards,
Robinetta

patrickw

Hello again Robinetta,
I'm glad the information came in useful and it was a good idea to post the link so that others might find it. Good luck in your further research, best wishes
Pat