• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Prestwood Hall.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Could some kind soul have a peek, if it's possible, to see who is living at Prestwood Hall.
Prestwood Hall is in Prestwood, Bucks, and I think it's in the Parish of Great Missenden. It's situated just up the road from Atkins Farm.

Not sure if this can be done though.:confused:

Thanks.

Steve.:)

View attachment 2844

Last edited:

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

Only Prestwood Village Hall showing. What is Atkins farm?? I have an Atkins family from Eton, would there be a connection??

Amanda

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I would guess Prestwood lodge and Hall are the same building(maybe). The Village Hall would not be it, too 'modern'.

Atkins farm still exists today, not sure of the origins of it's name though. But it was once owned by my 8x Grandfather, along with quite a few other farms, houses and cottages in the vicinity.

I have 3 Wills that name 12 pieces of property, mostly farms, meadows, woods and cottages. But there are other farms with no specific names, or names that have been changed over time.

I suppose I need to see old maps, rent books, deeds etc. to try and pin point them more closely.
He also purchased land/property from Edmund Hampden, which I may assume was from the Hampden estate nearby. Where this land was, I have no clue, as the Hampden estates were in Bucks, Oxfordshire, and further afield.

Onwards and backwards.:rolleyes:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
After studying the map I included in my first post, I've found New House Farm, which has been mentioned in all 3 wills, and still exists. It's about 2km SW of where the Prestwood Lodge/Hall may have been.
Some progress.:)

New House Farm have land deeds and sales receipts etc. held at the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies. 1847 to 1857. That is spot on.:2fun:

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Gibbo, that's brilliant. I wonder what went wrong though.:confused:

I suppose with the 'industrial revolution', perhaps the labour force was going into heavy, or other industries where there was more money to be earned. With that, the farms that were rented out, couldn't afford to pay.
Not sure I'll ever find out.

Well that's two farms down, a few more to go.:biggrin:

View attachment 2852

View attachment 2853

Last edited: