• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Previous unit?

Lirio100

My great grandfather's brother (great grand uncle?) enlisted in the British Army in 1914. I've found his record and service number--he was a part of the Mesopotamian Campaign, he died in 1917 and is interred in the Kut War Cemetery. I've found his record in an online collection of UK casualties of WWI; he was 5th Wiltshires and part of the 40th Brigade. However, that transcription contains a note "formerly of Royal Field Artillery" and a different service number. I've tried both UK "A" and used the free weekend for FindMyPast, but can't find anything for him under that other number.

Is there somewhere else I can look, or is that record probably lost?

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Lirio,

Ancestry also has War records free at the moment you could try there.
Also if you leave some details about your great uncle, someone could have other records they could look at for you.

Amanda

When I did my national service, I was attached to the Royal Artillery in Oswestry for the frst two weeks until it was decided where I was to serve my time. I was then transferred to the signals section of the Military police in Woking (no option, I just happened to be one of six tall entrants) where I completed my service. It could be your uncle was attached to the artillery first until he was transferred to the unit into which he served. As far as I am aware he would have had a different number for each unit

dave

Last edited:

Lirio100

When I did my national service, I was attached to the Royal Artillery in Oswestry for the frst two weeks until it was decided where I was to serve my time. I was then transferred to the signals section of the Military police in Woking (no option, I just happened to be one of six tall entrants) where I completed my service. It could be your uncle was attached to the artillery first until he was transferred to the unit into which he served. As far as I am aware he would have had a different number for each unit

dave
That might have been what happened; his name is Abram Newton (also Abraham Newton), he was born in 1879 in Quarnford, Staffordshire. The UK list of British Casualties gives his birthplace as Buxton, Cheshire. That's incorrect, he was living there when he enlisted. LadyBird, I should have given more information :) but I did also try Ancestry, no luck .

He was 5th Wiltshires (Duke of Edinburgh's); if I understand what I read correctly, this was part of the 40th Brigade (New Army, Kitchener's Army), 13th Western Division. That was supposed to have had three brigades (?) of RFA artillery attached to the 40th brigade. They went to Cape Helles and then Anzac Cove before being evacuated to Egypt and on to the Middle East. His service number in 5th Wiltshires is 33412, for the RFA is 188407. He enlisted in the Wiltshires in Macclesfield. What I find confusing is that it appears that he enlisted in the Wiltshires first, but the RFA number is "formerly" and I haven't found any record with the RFA number for him.

I found his medal index card, he was awarded the Victory and British medal. The notation reads 6/1/102 Bq. Any guesses to what that is?