• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Prison Officers/Guards

B

bulldog1940

:( HELP I am desperate to get Info/Advice on where I can access Prison Officer Records Any!!! But!! specifically 1870/1900 Re! my extremely elusive G/G father. This is REALLY holding up the proceedings. All and any advice welcome .All will be checked out Thankyou Have tried Home O ffice-NOT very helpful.

Post edited by: bulldog1940, at: 2005/03/06 18:25

E

eb

I expect you have thought of this, but have you tried looking on the census for the prison? You would be amazed at the details you can find there about officers as well as inmates if they happened to be on night shift the date the census was taken? It may give you a lead you can follow?

Elizabeth

B

bulldog1940

Elizabeth!
Thanks for Tip. I will follow it up . Problem is I dont know names of Prisons as yet I am checking this out now
Thankyou again
Peter ;)

Rolfe1961

Hi Bulldog1940 (Peter)

I have three ancestors (two g/fathers and one g/g/father who were in the prison service in the late 19th and early 20th centuries) and have found the same problem. Unless you look at all the census records for all the prisons (and there were hundreds then) you can't find them. Also they moved from prison to prison and back again fairly often. I contacted the Home Office but they said all prison officer's records are destroyed when they leave the service. I some how think this is probably not true and I'm making other enquiries. BTW they said the reason for destroying the records was to prevent ex-prisoners finding them and getting revenge.

It seems if your ancestor was a prisoner (even a murderer) you can find all about them from the National Archives - which is really annoying!

Have you found where the records are yet? Perhaps we can keep each other upto date if either of us makes a breakthrough? I look forward to hearing from you.

Happy hunting

Mark