• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Queen's Seamstresses

Does anyone know who Queen Elizabeth's Seamstresses were during the period late 1940's-1950's.
My mother as a child was given pieces of material by aunts back in the UK and was told they were from clothing they had made for the Queen.
My grandfathers sisters were :
Matilda Ivy Grant (nee Ward)
Doris Eleanor Kingston (nee Ward)
Beatrice Pangbourn (nee Ward)
Note my grandfathers family were known to use their second given names.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Maybe a marriage or death cert. of the people concerned might state their occupation .. at least you would have confirmation they were seamstresses and take if from there. Not sure what the UK electoral rolls would show.
1939 Registration might have occupation ??

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Matilda Ivy Ward 1905 West Ham
Beatrice Ward c1907
Doris Eleanor Ward c1894 West Ham.

Should think they were all married when Queen Elizabeth came to the throne. Perhaps it was Queen Mary that they worked for.

In 1910 her father-in-law died and Mary became Queen Mary. As Queen she helped her husband with his new role as King. She was the Queen Consort for about 25 years before her husband died in January of 1936.

Is that the right Ward Family ?

Ellie

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
If you write to Windsor Castle they should have the information you want. They have lists of staff who have worked for the Royals for many centuries.

Amanda

Thanks for the lead. Considering my mother was born in 1941 this Normann Harnell seems the most likely.
Is it possible he kept records of employees? And if so where would they be found ?

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think this is the business address for the company:

Norman Hartnell LTD
Wellington Plaza
31 Wellington Street
Leeds, LS1 4DL
United Kingdom

Norman Hartnell died in 1979.

Amanda

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date