• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Query re GRO Birth entry

emeltee

Loyal Member
I have been using the new GRO search facility to check the births of various ancestors' children and to see if any were born then died between the Censuses. I came across the following two enties for the same child

Ebenezer Owens Dec 1869 Liverpool vol 8b p 150 mmn Botham
Occasional Copy: A

Ebenezer Owens Dec 1869 Liverpool vol 8b p 176 mmn Botham
Occasional Copy:A

Can anyone explain why his birth was entered twice and what 'Occasional Copy:A' means

Thanks,

Emeltee

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The question also appears on other sites Emeltee and no one yet has an answer.

This may be it re corrections

There are certain legal requirements for all corrections:
and one of bullet points says:

the quarterly certified copies should also be updated; if they have already been sent to the SR, you must complete an occasional copy form and send it to GRO

SR = Superintendent Registrar
Dave

emeltee

Loyal Member
In case anyone is interested I queried this with the GRO and this is the reply

"In some circumstances, where authorised by the Registrar General, an original entry is either corrected or alternatively superseded by a subsequent fresh register entry and requires an occasional copy of the updated or new entry to be sent to the Registrar General.

The occasional copy of this updated or new entry is then allocated a new index / page number. For example, the original entry may be on page 670 and the occasional copy of the amended or new entry is allocated an occasional page reference 670A.

Other than where there has been a re-registration of a birth to add or remove the father’s details, the previous record is not viewable. If it is a re-registration to add or remove the father’s details, then you can obtain both the original and re-registered entry providing that you can supply sufficient detail for us to identify the original entry."

Emeltee