• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

question about volume and page numbers

Hello everyone!! I have found some possible death records for my greatx2 grandparents in Shropshire. I know they died within a few months of each other and am pretty sure they were living in Shropshire. I found a Richard and Elizabeth DAVIES on the same volume and page number. It's just that I am not sure what the significance of this is. Do you all think that it mean they died within a few months of each other?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Annette:D

Lincoln Lad

Hello Annette,

The GRO indices are arranged in quarterly returns, ie March, June, September and December. Depending when the death was registered, there could be as much as 3 months between the deaths of two people registered in the same quarter (plus 5 days for time allowed for death registration of each).

So, yes, it is possible if the registration district is small, that with few deaths in a quarter for two deaths 3 months apart to appear on the same page and volume.

Keith