• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

question on marrage certificate dates

Hello,

I am currently trying to create a timeline of events for my paternal parents however I think I have hit a massive brick wall which is just doing my head to put to blunt...

My father confirmed that his parents got married in Birmingham even though his father was from there and his mother was from Troon in Scotland. My grandfather was in the Navy and probably was stationed at HMS Dinosaur during WW2 which would have been where he met his wife.

The event on the BMD index seems to match as there is a Jean Bell marrying a Christopher Saunders in Birmingham (Sept 1941) however the marriage certificate has just come and it matches however the ages for when both were married does not match up with what I have got yet I cant find any record of their births using the new years of birth...

Am I missing something here?

Their names Christoper Saunders & Jean Bell and the certificate shows that in 1941 Chris was 26 as a Brass Deacon whilst Jean was 20 at the year of wed. it also seems to show that they lived in Aston Birmingham which again does not tally up with what I though as Chris was in the Forces and Jean was still living on Scotland with her father Andrew Bell until around 1951...

Help

ages given at a marriage are not always correct. Your father confirms the mge was in Birmingham. Christopher may have been serving at the submarine base on the Clyde, but went home to Birmingham for the mge. He probably returned to his base on the Clyde so it makes sense for Jean to live near with her parents rather than on her own in Brum.

Thanks for your reply - I just need to try and find what my grandfather did in the Navy,all my father could tell me was that he worked on the submarines.