• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Question

Lynne Ryan

OK HERE IS MY QUESTION..While search my welch roots i came across this ..i think it was in a census page ..it said Something cottage narbeth
head of house,so and so ..head gardener
wife so and so .. cook..
daughter so and so u married age 15 servant
daughter 19 ,maid,,
son ..footman .now get this can anyone tell me answer ,
them daughter 15 lab mother outside..
next was another lady cousin 27 lab,mother inside..
then her husband ..lab groomsman..
what is a lab mother inside please
and all are one family..
can anyone explain these terms to me ..

dochines

Valued Member
Re: Question Inside and outsde

normally in census records the terms inside and outside relate to where the individual worked when in service as a domestic servant or labourer. The term lab usually means labourer.

Some servants worked in the house particularly the kitchen and bedrooms whereas others worked on the land, in the garden or stables.

I suspect this is at least part of the explanation of your question but would need to see the original to sort it out further.

hope that helps

dochines

Lynne Ryan

Thank you for answer,this is how i figured it also ,but thought i'd pop the question as a matter of interest..iwhen i find this kind of thing i have note book i have been writing most things into ,i find doing family history very interesting and am learning so much as i go after all these years .,.its facinating ..and my young grand daughter is now interested ,so i think my data keeping will help her also ,,,i think she has ideas of being some kind of researcher in years to come ,..
so thank you in deed..Now i have one other point ..
yesterday i was in Free BDM AND STILL ON MY RESEARCH in my family's data an email address came up,so i emailed and made inquires ,told some of my relatives,etc etc,especially where her name came up ..this morning she emailed back,and said she lives in wales but has no connection to be or my relatives ,and can't help me ..,my question is this ,well why in my family data and documents does she leave her email addy to be contacted, if this is so ..
and it is definately my family she was into ,i am going to email her again and make further inquiries,i just thought it strange,..will post further as i get some more data..cheers Lynne ..
PS this site is great i'd really like to thank everyone for being so helpful to us all ..great work guys ..it makes things so much easier ..