• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

The above mentioned infirmary is quite a famous hospital. It was built in 1770 and is now part of the Radcliffe University in the city. The hospital is also quite big and was only taken over by the university in 2007.

I have an ancestor connection with the Radcliffe Infirmary as my great, great grandmother Thirza Edgington died there on the 28th February 1902 aged 48. She died of a carcinoma (Cancer) of the uterus and exhaustion. Her illness muct have been agony. Exhaustion was caused by the cancer, and probably bringing up 7 children over the past 23 years.

I have now emailed their archives to see if they could look up the admission registers to see how long Thirza was in there for. She was still at home 11 months before in the 1901 census so must have fallen ill shortly afterwards.

Thirza was the mother of Helen Edgington, the famous previously mentioned ancestor who moved from Oxford to Sussex in about 1907 aged 12.

Ben

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 1891 Census Request 12
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 34