• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Radical women in Sheffield a possible story?

duckweed

Loyal Member
The Ash entries you have that died are in same district as James Ash in Randal Street who turned out to be a pen knife Cutler. I think he is the one that was born in 1820 whose father was a scissor maker. I can't even find Randal Street in a census record. My details are from the trade index.

horse

Loyal Member
The Ash entries you have that died are in same district as James Ash in Randal Street who turned out to be a pen knife Cutler. I think he is the one that was born in 1820 whose father was a scissor maker. I can't even find Randal Street in a census record. My details are from the trade index.
For reference this is the 'penknife cutter' in 1841..

RD: Ecclesall Bierlow
Sub-RD: Ecclesall Bierlow
ED: 15; Piece: 1333; Book: 8; Folio: 38; Page: 26

John Ash 50 [unable to read occ]
Mary Ash 50
James Ash 20 [Penkinfe cutter]
Chas Ash 15
[All BiC except John]

Address looks like Broomhall St.

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
That James wasn't married in 1841, so two of those offspring [mmn = Mitchell] wouldn't be his, of course he could be a widower, but given his age, unlikely :rolleyes:

Geoff

emeltee

Loyal Member
I have now dug a bit more and the children I found with mmn Mitchell can all be discounted. I have found burials for them in Sheffield and they were the children of a Frederick Ash and his wife Mary nee Mitchell who married in 1832.

Sorry, seemed a good ides at the time.

Emeltee

duckweed

Loyal Member
SHeffield Indexers gave me link to Newspaper article that doesn't mention Caroline Ash in 1839 when the Female Radical Association was formed although future Newspaper articles do.Unless the FRA disbanded and a new female group formed by Mrs Ash. She definitely was there in the 1840s and in 1850s but possibly not as old as I first thought.

I now have a new list of names to find out who they are. One at least I know and that is Mrs Foden as she was wife of a prominent Chartist called Peter Foden and I have tracked that family's history in great detail.