• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

RAF ranks - AB2

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Hi I have a query in that my grandfather is listed on my mothers birth certificate under rank or profession of father as - AB2 Royal Air Force
I have searched and the only reference to that rank I can find is for the Royal Navy.
Anyone know different!

peter

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Thanks Dave but I have been thinking - the RAF around the 1920's had seaplanes and I surmise that they would have had some sailors to tend the boats they ferried crew out to the seaplanes.
I know they had a seaplane base over the water from me at Felixstowe.

All conjecture on my part.

peter

thecelticbard

Valued Member
Peter, firstly Netheravon Training School - The Welch Regiment were sent there in October 1963 after returning from Berlin and I can honestly say that the word training and Netheravon is not right, I'd have used Survival - that winter we had to keep the fires alight throughout the night to keep warm. Secondly, AB2; there has always been a rank AC2 in the RAF but on the 16th April I'll see some ex RAF people and ask them. I had an uncle who spent his whole naval career in the Fleet Air Arm but don't know when that was formed. Will report back.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Perhaps someone heard 'AC2' as 'AB2' - I won't guess what accent it might have been.

Dave

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I have decided to send for my Grandfathers service record, just waiting for his death certificate.
I hope it will be worth the £30, I will just have to wait and see.

They certainly make you go through the hoops to get the records but they do say it only contains dates of changes , whatever that means!

Peter