• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

RAF records July 1944

Good Morning Everyone

I am new to the forum and have a question please. I am a Brit living in France. I have a French friend who has a pre war car with an interesting history. This we believe involves the Royal Air Force.

This French friend had a great uncle who owned a Citroen Traction avant saloon. This great uncle was driving this Citroen on a public road, against all advice at the time, on 29 July 1944 in North West France, Department 08 (BALLAY) in the direction of de Vouziers.

The French population had been warned not to use vehicles on the roads as the allied air forces were on search and destroy missions looking for enemy targets.

Needless to say the pig headed great uncle's car was shot up by what we believe was an RAF aircraft and great uncle was killed.

My French friend has managed to track down the car, he now owns it and it is in the process of being restored.

Out of curiosity we would like to track down which type of aircraft attacked the Citroen and if possible find the name of the pilot - just to complete the history of the car.

Has anyone any idea how I might track down this information?

Thanks in advance.

Tony Hillyard

ianto73

Valued Member
Initial thoughts are that I personally would not expect such information to be given, especially the name of the pilot. You would have to know what squadron was operating in that area at that time first. Good luck with your quest, the fact that there was a civilian casualty will not make it easy in my mind.

Thank you for your reply Ian.

I have received information from the American archives and it seems it is likely that it was a British aircraft involved in this action.

So far my research has shown that RAF Operations Record Books (ORBs) do exist for many operations. They show the date, aircraft, crew names, target and weapons load. The MOD tell me that all the records are now held at The National Archives at Kew.

I have plodded through as many files as I can find on line but there are so many and I have now idea how to target the right information. It's like being buried in information!

I just wondered if anyone on your forum might be able to give me a steer.

All the best

Tony

gibbo

Loyal Member
Have you tried newspapers from the area it happened in. There might be a story about the uncle's death which might give some leads up or there might be articles on which RAF was in the area at the time.

ianto73

Valued Member
Some government records of WWII have a 100 year restriction of being released to the public. This may not apply here, but I thought it worth mentioning. Brian

gibbo

Loyal Member
I wouldnt hold out much luck on finding out who the actual pilot was.

A interesting thread and would be good to be able to put some more history on the uncle and the car.