• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

RAF,WW2 question

From
England
I have a photo of an RAF group c1941, labeled WWR 106e. Anyone know what that means? I think this group ended up in Canada. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

I have not been able to find anything that helps. Google suggests WWE instead but that leads to nothing.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Stumped me too. Shame because my uncle is in it and most have signed on the reverse. Definitely WWR. Someone out there must know. :)

This was a group in uniform and the abbreviation in question was on a board held in front of them, so if there was such a squadron, 106e could be it. No sign of USA but since my uncle and much of the RAF in training , ended up in Canada, could be USA, though I assumed England.

I have a relative who was in the RAAF and he was a navigator in RAF & RAAF mixed crew Hampdens. He did some training in Canada.

Names from photo, where I can read signature!
Henry John Read(uncle), GJ Hornsey, Wall, Shore/Shory, P Lloyd, H Reane, A Caswell, Paddy Caisley, Dignall, L Cullis, W Cranham, Dai Chisholm, Elan, Shatwell, Palmer, Faulkner, Bofeld, Benn, A Myers, Wool..., F Latham.

At least 4 of those names appear in https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/

G R Hornsey
J J Read
D Chisolm
A G Myers

All have the following:
Rank = War substantive flying officer
Unit = General Duties Branch

May be worth checking out the others.

Geoff

Edit:

D Chisolm and A G Myers, unit should read 'Administrative And Special Duties', not 'General Duties Branch'.

Last edited:
Thanks Horse.
I found Caswell, Cullis, Shatwell, Bayfield and Latham on the website mentioned, but nothing to tie them all together, though most seemed to be on 'general duties'. Is there any way I can get H J Read's record without subscribing, or at least a transcript of his main WW2 moments?

Thanks Horse.
I found Caswell, Cullis, Shatwell, Bayfield and Latham on the website mentioned, but nothing to tie them all together, though most seemed to be on 'general duties'. Is there any way I can get H J Read's record without subscribing, or at least a transcript of his main WW2 moments?

I don't have a subscription myself either, a friend has, but he's away at present.

It just seemed a bit more than a coincidence that those names I searched were all in the RAF. That said, there were others with the same surnames in other services :rolleyes:

Geoff

Back