• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Rankin Family History

Hello,
I've managed to trace one side of my family history (Eltonhead), way back to the 1100's. Its the other side I'm having problems with (Rankin).
My great uncle apparently said that the Rankin's originated from the Western Isles (maybe Jura). I've got two marriages between Eltonheads & Rankins, as follows:
John Rankin (d. 1821) m. Ann Eltonhead (1751-1821). They had three children, John, Richard & David, and were living in Liverpool.
In the next generation, Richard Rankin (1774-1832), a ships chandler, m. Anne Eltonhead (1791-1860) on 25/7/1811, in Liverpool. They had ten children, Richard, Mary, Anne, Jane, Joseph, Elizabeth, John, David, Henry & Henrietta.
My problem is that I don't know where John Rankin & Richard Rankin came from. Were they related in any way? Did they come down from Scotland, or were their families already here?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm in the process of writing a book and would dearly love to go back as far as I can with the Rankins.
Thanks, in advance for any assistance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
horse Marriages 10
horse Marriages 17
horse Births 2
horse Births 2
horse Births 5
horse Marriages 7