• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Re-burial at Loos

ianto73

Valued Member
Information currently listed on the CWGC website states that the re-burial of Pte McAteer and 19 unknown soldiers will take place on 14th March 2014.
RIP gentlemen!

My Great Grandfather Sergeant Alexander Cumming of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) died at Loos on the 25/09/1915, he has no known grave. Would be nice to think he could possibly be one of the 19 unknown solders being laid to rest. RIP

Hello
first I heard of this one do we know what regiment they belonged to?
Romany Rosex

p.s
update in the identification of the remains of WW1 soldier found in a garden,MOD know it is 1 of 4 soldiers ,has you know have been very busy with this and
the MOD have informed me that they are now in touch with relatives of the soldiers:)
Romany Rosex

ianto73

Valued Member
One can only be amazed at the amount of work being undertaken to have got to this stage. A former colleague of mine from my own regiment agrees with me that it would be impossible to evaluate the number of families who never knew where their relatives were or what happened to them, and that is also true of WWII.:(
Even though I feel 'thanks' is hardly adequate for what is being done, everyone involved has my eternal gratitude.

My Great Uncle was commemorated At Loos, Is there any way to follow the identification of the remains found, I would love to find out more. He was as I have said killed 11 April 1918

Gwen :)

ianto73

Valued Member
Gwen, I know that the CWGC is inundated with requests for information and it can take months before they are able to reply - I asked for the names of those buried out in Aden at the cemetery known as 'Silent Valley' - the CWGC manage this on behalf of the MOD - and at least three months went by if not a little longer before I got the reply. they also do a newsletter which you can sign up for and sometimes there's very interesting information in that. All service personnel on active service had to wear their metal 'dog tags' so if these got removed for whatever reason, then during WWI & WWII they became "unknown" and as long as there was a list of names on a nominal roll, they were the ones that get listed on War Memorials in the overseas countries. Brian.

With over 200 people attending today, they were finally laid to rest with full military honours. I am in awe of the amount of work that has been done since they were found just over 3 years ago, and conclude that my eternal thanks to all those that participated seems a little inadequate.

Adam

Ian
Did you receive the list of names of the buriels in silent valley, if you did and they have the regiments attached to the name, can you check for the
1st R.T.R.
I was demobbed from Aden in the summer of 1966, and the regiment had 6 months to complete the tour.

Adam

Adam, I am the oddball; I joined the FRA after a 6 week Language course and served at Ataq and Mukeiras until early September 1967. Unlike many people, Aden changed me for the better, both in terms of professional and human development. PM sent, let me know if you want to know anything else.
Brian
AKA ianto73

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G FHUK General Chat Room 2
juliejtp Deaths 2
DaveHam9 Deaths 0
Ellie7 Genealogy General Help 2
p.risboy Deaths 7
L Genealogy General Help 3