• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Re: History Mysteries

dawnlea

Hello again everybody!! ;D

Has anybody been watching a programme called 'History Mysteries' on BBC 2? It's on weekdays at 3pm. It's about a team of people who go around England solving problems posed by viewers. A bit like 'Time Team' for geneaology!! Yesterday's programme was about the lost city of Dunwich on the east coast of England. Apparently, about seven hundred years ago, it disappeared into the sea after two horrendous storms. A woman, whose father devoted his life to writing the history of Dunwich, wanted the team to try and map the old city for her to continue her father's work. With the aid of sonar (or something), they were able to map the city's 13 churches and provide an approximation of what the city would have looked like. Today's (Thursday) program is about a woman who worked in a silk mill. I think they are trying to trace her ancestors. Might be good for a few tips!!

pee wee

:)
That sounds like a good program. I'd love to watch it just for interest anyway. Pity I don't think we get it here. I will have to keep an eye on the ABC & SBS stations. They sometimes pick up BBC prorgrams. We get the Global Village which is good sometimes & Lost worlds which can sometimes be about old villages & towns etc. I even tried watching the antiques roadshow just in case they showed something informative. Nice show but not much for the geneaologist.
I might put a suggestion to the TV stations that it would be a good show to air. You never know they might like the idea.

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com

Dawn, I haven't seen that! :'(

I get an email from the beeb weekly, telling me whats on the forthcoming week - just checked last few weeks and not mention of it at all!

Can you let me know when it is next on! :)

Thanx,
Dave

dawnlea

Darn :mad:

Unfortunately, work is a little bit slow for me at the moment. I work as a nurse on an agency and, of course, after Christmas no one is taking any annual leave so nobody needs agency nurses. This does mean that I have lots of time to watch daytime television. I did catch today's episode. It was about Llewellyn, the last prince of Wales. He was purported to have built and lived in this house at Pen y Bryn. The owner had been pooh-poohed by the general public about this so she asked the History Mysteries team to get her some proof. They thought the house came from the right period but, by looking at old maps and an old marriage contract, they could say that the house was the longhouse at the centre at the Manor of Abbas, which (Ithink) was the place where Llewellyn was or stayed before some big battle with us Brits. It was fascinating.

dawnlea

Oooh please don't mention dentists!! :'(

About two weeks ago, my jaw started clicking. It gave one almighty, very painful, crunch and now it hurts when I try to clench my teeth. I can hardly eat on the left hand side of my mouth and it's still uncomfortable. But I hate dentists, I hate needles (I know, pretty amazing coming from a nurse but as long as it's not my a**e the needle is going into then that's fine) and I really don't want to go. I keep taking Ibuprofen but I can see that I'm soon gonna have to give in and go.

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com

similar here Dawn,

Stuggled for months, then got an ulcer, then could not get a dentist (Big issue in the UK!), then got an infection - given antibiotics, still could not get a dentist, another infection - antibiotics - round and round :mad:
Eventually had it pulled out - what a relief.
Just been back today for a small filling and a clean up.

Just "grit your teeth" and go for it gal!