• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Re: look up on ancestry

Hi I am still new to this site, and I am wondering if you wouldn't mind seeing if you could find a marriage for a Charles Taylor born 1808 Stow on the Wold. Gloucester. He immigrated to Sydney Cove in 1837. His wife is suppose to be a Mary Balson, as she is listed as his wife, even though no marriage certificate was produced. He came out as an assisted immigrant.
We do have a Robert Taylor marrying a Mary Balson in Feb 1837, Stoke, Dameral. Robert and Charles are possibly brothers.
Mary's parents were Arthur Balson and a Margaret Bourke.
any help would be so appreciated.
cheers
Christine
Australia

Hi I am still new to this site, and I am wondering if you wouldn't mind seeing if you could find a marriage for a Charles Taylor born 1808 Stow on the Wold. Gloucester. He immigrated to Sydney Cove in 1837. His wife is suppose to be a Mary Balson, as she is listed as his wife, even though no marriage certificate was produced. He came out as an assisted immigrant.
We do have a Robert Taylor marrying a Mary Balson in Feb 1837, Stoke, Dameral. Robert and Charles are possibly brothers.
Mary's parents were Arthur Balson and a Margaret Bourke.
any help would be so appreciated.
cheers
Christine
Australia
Hi Christine

I have located a family tree showing the marriage details as listed above for Mary Balson born 1817 Plymouth......died 1882 Balmain NSW etc. Wed Robert Taylor February 28 1837 Stoke Dameral Devon.........................

There are several Charles Taylors....for marriages in 1838.......

One tree shows Charles and Mary ....assisted passengers August 1837 sponsored by Walker and Co. It does`nt give Mary`s maiden name .

If you have any more to go on I will search again for you

Regards
Kath

Hi

Results for: Taylor, British Isles
Father: William , Mother: Sarah

Batch Number: C031852

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 4

1. ROBERT TAYLOR - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: JAN 1806 Stow On The Wold, Gloucester, England

2. ELIZA TAYLOR - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 24 JUL 1803 Stow On The Wold, Gloucester, England

3. CAROLINE TAYLER - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 02 JUN 1811 Stow On The Wold, Gloucester, England

4. CHARLES TAYLOR - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 14 AUG 1808 Stow On The Wold, Gloucester, England

dave

Re: look up on ancestry Dave and Kath

Dave and Kath Thank you, on the passenger list for a Charles and Mary Taylor, there was a Caroline Balson, travelling with them. Have managed to find Caroline's family out here and the Mary on the ship with her was her sister Mary, Caroline was in the care of her brother in law and family on board, but have looked thru passenger list and cannot find any other Balsons on board.
It is funny as we have documents stating that a child born to Mary in begin of 1838, Mary had a son and his father was Robert Taylor. which makes this more interesting to unravel.
cheers
Christine

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member

Hello Christine,

Principal's Name: Charles Taylor
Estimated birth year: 1808
Age in years: 29
Native place of Principal: Stow-On-Wold, Gloucestshire,
Father's name:
Mother's name:
Spouse's name: Mary Taylor
Native place of spouse: Plymouth, , England
Spouse's Father's name:
Spouse's Mother's name:
Ship: City Of Edinburgh
Date of arrival: 31 Aug 1837
Volume: 2
GS Number: 416877
DGS Number: 4117092
Image number: 00109
Collection: Index to Bounty Immigrants Arriving in N.S.W., Australia, 1828-1842

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member

Hello Christine,

Yes, it appears as though Caroline is the only BALSON listed. I've checked three sources.

City of Edinburgh BALSON Caroline 17 31/08/1837 Reel 2654 2 [4/4780] Unmarried; dressmaker NRS 5313

Regards,

Dave

Hi Christine
I have located a family tree showing the marriage details as listed above for Mary Balson born 1817 Plymouth......died 1882 Balmain NSW etc. Wed Robert Taylor February 28 1837 Stoke Dameral Devon.........................
Hi
this marriage is on IGI
dave

Re: look up on ancestry Kath and Dave

Thank you both for your help again, am still trying to work out about Robert,
and why would Mary marry Robert, and then come out with Charles, who supposedly her "husband" that is what we are trying to figure out.
cheers
Christine

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member

Hello Cristine,

Do you have a death for Robert?

I don't have an answer to your puzzle but I do have similar problems in my tree. I have one couple in England who had two sons, one before and one after they married. They took the eldest with them to Australia and left the youngest with his grandparents. All researchers of the family ask WHY but there is no answer. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Dave

Re: look up on ancestry Dave

Dave I am sorry I do not have a death date for Robert or even the Charles Mary came out on, there are a couple who died but am unsure if it is them.
have one in particular who died on Old South Head Rd, will have to research again and see if I can find his date on death om nsw bmd,
Christine

brentor boy

Valued Member

Have you been able to trace Robert in any later UK censuses?

Could it be that Mary opted for the gentler Charles and went with him to Australia to start a new "legitimate" life together after Robert's "ungentlemanly affections" had left her pregnant with the child born in early 1838.

Entirely speculative, I know, but stranger things have been known to have happened.