• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Read family

From
Canada
Trying to find Edward Read, wife Ethel but without success. Did I miss something? Ethel was born at Houghton-le-Spring, Durham about 1875, married Edward at Weardale 1895. They may have moved to London area by 1901 census. No children at this time I do not believe.

I assume that Edward's wife Ethel was Ethel Gage, b.Rainton (near Houghton le Spring), according to the 1881 census, in 1875. Although in 1891 she gave her PoB as Tow Law, which was near where her parents were living, and was probably where she married, (Wearmouth is a district).
I cannot see any Ethel Read, Reade, Reed, or Reid of around 25 years old with a husband Edward, anywhere in England in 1901. You think that she may have moved to London. there is an Ethel Read 38, b. Durham, in Camberwell, London in 1911, but there is no Edward living with her.
Did the couple emigrate, or perhaps separate as there are possible single women in 1901? I take it that you have positive evidence of their marriage, eg a copy of the certificate, in which case how old was Edward at the time? What was his occupation? What was his father's name and occupation. With that information we may be able to assist you.

Last edited:
To Robesur;
I am in the process of obtaining b/c, m/c, etc. The only Ethel Gage I found that married a "Read, Reade, etc" was the one born at Houghton. I know from conversations with family (all deceased now), she was in London in 1911/1913, but not listed on the 1911 census. Interesting hobby this, but frustrating at times!:)

To juliejtp:

Thanks for your reply. That may be the Ethel Read, if she is from Durham, but it would mean that her marriage to Edward Read, in 1895, didn't last very long!

Back