• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Read

From
Canada
Ethel Read or Reade, nee Gage, was rumoured to have been killed during an air raid in WWII, but I have been unable to find any record. She was born in 1875 in Durham County, married Edward Read in 1895 and they had a son, Alfred Read, b. 1897. 1901 census show Alfred living with his grandparents in Durham County, but no Ethel or Edward! At some point the marriage failed and they separated. She lived in Greater London for some years but may have moved to Sunderland.

Here is young Alf with his grandees 1901 Tow Law Durham.
George Gage 52 bn Dudley Worcs, Mary A 48, George H 17 student at R.A Music, Abrim 11,
Lydia 8, Alfred Read 4
1891 census has George & Co no Ethel.
Have you looked in free familysearch for 1881 census??

ozn

1881 - gives Ethels birth place

Name: Ethel Gage
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: George Gage
Mother's Name: Mary Ann Gage
Where born: Rainton, Durham, England

Civil parish: Middridge
County/Island: Durham

Street Address: Private House

Registration district: Auckland
Sub-registration district: Bishop Auckland

George Gage 32 Worcs, Coal miner
Mary Ann Gage 28 Durham Spennymoor
Charlotte Gage 9 Durham Brandon
Ethel Gage 5 Durham Rainton
Rachel Gage 3m Durham Midridge
Eva Gage 25 Staffs S.I.Law
Margaret Gage 5 Staffs Niece
Emily Gage 9m Staffs Niece

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, I have that information that you stated in your replies.
Ethel Read, nee Gage, remains a bit of a mystery. 1901 census, there is a Ethel Read living in Croydon and from Durham and her age matches, but she is shown as single, however perhaps by then the marriage had failed and she left her son with her parents and moved to London to find work. But by the 1911 census she was back home, but no mention of Alfred or Edward on that census! Perhaps she re-married and continued life under a different name?
Thanks again.

Back