• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Rebecca Cockram

Hello,

I'm seeking birth or baptism information on Rebecca Cockram, most likely in Romansleigh, South Moulton, Devon, England. The only record I have on her is the baptismal record of her illegitimate daughter, Matchell Carter Cockram, baptised in Romansleigh Nov. 10, 1827. Therefore, I would estimate that Rebecca was probably born in the early years of the nineteenth century.

As far as I know Romansleigh is not on Family Search. Also, Rebecca Cockram (with that name) does not appear in Romansleigh in the 1841 or 1851 censuses. I have not been able to find any death records for her either.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Gwen

horse

Loyal Member
Hi

Not easy, but hopefully a pointer or two...

1841 - Bradninch, Hayfield, Devon. HO107/224/4/10/14
Rebecca Cockram (45), b. abt. 1796 Devon
She appears separately as well as with those below and with the same reg no:
James Cockram (40), occ. Xwright (original not easily readable)
Mary (40)
With youngsters..
None with a name similar to Matchell Carter.

FreeBMD:
Q4 1853 Michal Carter Cockram, Crediton, mar. (5b, 747)
There are also 4 others listed as possible partners:
Sammy Barry (5b, 747)
Tammy Barry (5b, 747)
William Cleave (5b, 747)
William Wensley (5b, 747)

One could assume Sammy & Tammy are the same person. There is an Anc. tree with a mar. for William Cleave & Tamson Barry, Crediton. Leaving William Wensley & Michal Carter Cockram.

Still nothing concrete on Rebecca's birth unless that is her in 1841.

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
Hi

Just found a possible death for Rebecca, but it is not too close to where she had been living.

FreeBMD, deth reg:
Q4 1852 Rebecca Cockram, Stoke D (Damerel). (5b, 210). (no age given unfortunately).

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
There are 3x Rebecca COCKRAM in 1841 but none near Romansleigh. If she moved could be any one of the three or none of them.

horse

Loyal Member
Hi

Thanks for pointing that out, Dave - Bradninch and Crediton both about 15 miles from South Moulton and Stoke Damerel even further as I indicated. Since there is nothing else, possibly worth a mention.

Geoff

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
1871 - Civil parish Morchard Bishop - RD Credition - Sub RD Morchard Bishop

William Wenlsey head age 71
Micel wife age 44 born Romansleigh
William Ewings lodger

Class RG10
Piece 2157
Folio 47
Page 29

Thanks for all the pointers, everyone! I appreciate your insights!

I have most of Rachel/Michal's data figured out, but her mother was previously unknown to me and completely upended my tree!

Someone on another forum pointed out that she might be the Rebecca Featherstone Cockram who married a James Tucker in 1830 and who was living with him and a bunch of their children in the 1841 and 1851 censuses (not Rachel/Michal though). I think that may be likely especially since their son, also James Tucker, was living as a servant in the same household as Rachel/Michal in the 1851 census in Morchard Bishop, Devon.

Thanks again, Gwen

It's some years since you posted your query, but I can give you a lot of information about the above lady as she is on my family tree. If you are still around let me know and I can tell you all about her.

Hi Gwen! Not sure if I already know you or not but seeing you are in Cleveland its a strong possibility that I do - especially if you are also researching my line which is Tuck of Somerset and Morchard Bishop, plus others in my tree!

Anyway, here goes:

The person you are researching is not Rebecca but Rachel or Michel Carter Cockram who was born in Romansleigh, Devon, about 1827. I guess she was possibly illegitimate given that her middle name was Carter. I haven't gone back any further on her, but her birth is shown on FindMyPast as Matchell Cockram in Romansleigh. (I don't have a subscription to this so haven't checked).

Rachel was about 25 when her illegitimate daughter, Emma Wreford Cockram, was born in Morchard Bishop in 1852. Emma married John Tuck in Morchard Bishop. John was my Gt.Grand Uncle, brother of my Gt.Grandfather, Edwin.

In 1841 at the age of 14 Rachel Carter was a servant at the house of Richard Howell in Chumleigh, Devon.

In 1851 Rachel Carter is a servant at the house of Roger Wreford, farmer, in Morchard Bishop. (Is he Emma's father?)

In 1853 Michal Carter Cockram married William Wensley and after being widowed she married again, this time to William Wreford in 1882, and is named Michal Winsley. (Could William have been was Emma's father instead?)

1891 - Rachel and William are living in Lower Town, Morchard Bishop.

1901 - Mistranscribed as Machel Wroford and living in Lower Town on her own.

In Rachel/Machel (widow) died on 14 May 1907 and her will says that Machel Wreford of Morchard Bishop, left her effects to Emma Tuck (widow).

So as you see, the spelling of her name changes all the time and it is a bit confusing!

Look forward to your comments!

Judy

Hi Gwen

Looking at your original question again, I have misread it. I answered with the information I have about Rachel/Mihal Cockram, when in fact having read your question again I see you are looking for her mother. Sorry but I have no information about her, but I will have a good look and see what I can find.

Judy