• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Red Kites

H

I'm so excited.. I've just spent the last half hour watching up to 5 Red Kites, less than 50ft high, souring and gliding without a flap of their wings, around the tree tops in and around our garden, calling to each other as they banked and dived in an arial ballet Such a magnificant bird which we are seeing more and more.

dave

Hi Dave

They are beautiful to watch,aren't they.

Many years ago , they introduced them to an area called Nant y Moch, next to Ponterwyd, near Aberystwyth. They are now all over the place there.

Enjoy them while they are there.

Maddie

They have expanded rapidly....lovely things though i wonder if there rapid spread will be a detrement to other rarer species.
Hi Leefer
Can'y see why. Despite their size (6ft wingspan) they eat carrion, worms grubs etc. This is why they were almost extinct as game keepers left poisoned rabbits on the grouse moors, to protect the 'game bird' shoots of 'the rich'

dave

leefer

Loyal Member
I take your point Dave..but they must intimidate other birds of prey...though the good old crow can be seen regularly mobbing them......just hope they dont get like the Magpie/Seagull because i have seen plenty in Towns/Cities now.

But yes....a lovely sight to be sure.