• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Regiment Nick Names

Does anybody know of a regiment with the nick name Northern Horse trying trying to find out what regiment my grandad was in between approx 1921 and 1930 no dates or where he enlisted only other info was that he served on Afganistan/Indian Border
Thanks

sterico

Loyal Member
13th mounted cheshire riflemens brigade were known as the northern horsemen.
There was a museum devoted to them in Stalybridge cheshire in the 70s ,but I am not sure if it is still there. I don't know if that helps you at all. regards sterico

patrickw

Hello,
not sure if this will help but, before ww1, the Royal Horse Artillary had what was in effect a 'pals batt' based in Blackburn/Clitheroe which was known locally as the Northern Horse. This was in effect a T.A.or home guard unit.
It was reconstituted in 1920 as the East Lancs brigade R.F.A. with 2 east lancs batteries and two cumberland batteries (the horse) Its headquarters were in Church.
In 1921 it was redesignated the 51st East Lancashire and
Cumberland Brigade which by then included units of the westmorland yeomanry.
In 1924 in was again redesignated 93 East Lancs Army Field Brigade and no further mention of horse.
I can find no unit deployments for India in the times you gave, but that is not surprising as they list no scale unit movements between the 1916 Gallipoli campaign and the 1939 B.E.F. in France.
What might be of interest though is the fact that in the very early parts of ww2, a number of indian units were attached to them, mainly in North Africa and it is not inconcievable to think that these may have been continuing arrangements from between the wars.
As said earlier, not sure if any of this helps but if it does I have further information on this unit and its history should you need it. Good luck in your search
Pat

Hi Pat
thanks for the information. At present l am trying to locate a photo of Grandad in uniform (which we think could be in Australia). My Aunt has a vague recollection of the photo and says grandad was wearing Jodpurs a mountie style hat and had silver mesh epaulettes in the shape of a capital T.
We know that he ran away from home lied about his age and could even have given a false name and address, the Northern Horse part of the puzzle is the only definate information l have so the information you supplied is very interesting, thanks again.
Pam