• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Regimental Births

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
The marriage cert will give their fathers names which will really confirm things. If Jacob says his dad was Benjamin Moore then you can be very sure it is the one who wed Mary and lived in Gorleston.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
The marriage cert will give their fathers names which will really confirm things. If Jacob says his dad was Benjamin Moore then you can be very sure it is the one who wed Mary and lived in Gorleston.
Benny, why oh why did I not think of that. My brain cell has gone to sleep.

Thanks again Ben, keep giving me a prod to wake me up.:D

Steve.:)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I've ordered a marriage cert with Jacob Moore and Rebecca (Brown) but it's in Daventry, Northants. That all I could find Ben.

Worth a try, as there was an Army Garrison just outside Daventry, at Weedon Bec, Northants.
But I ask myself, how would Rebecca get from Devon to Northamptonshire in the late 1840's, and why. Unless Jacob was stationed at Plymouth or Exmouth.

I've just recieved the Marriage cert for the Daventry entry. And guess what.:rolleyes:

IT'S THE RIGHT ONE.
:kissu: :kissu: :2fun: :2fun: :2fun:

Details as follows.

When married:- 27th May 1849.

Jacob Moore (o.f.a). Batchelor. Occ- Private in 12th.Reg. of Foot. Residence - Weedon Beck Barracks. Father - Benjamin Moore (Maltster).

Rebecca Brown (o.f.a). Spinster. Occ. Servant. Residence - 14, Wigdon Place, Plymouth. Father - Mathew Brown (Sailor).

Witnesses - William Smith, Sgt. 12th of Foot. + Mary Ann Smith.

And the spooky bit is, I worked for 6yrs overlooking the Barracks at Weedon Bec, Northants. only a 100yds away.
What's the saying ......."Following in the footsteps of ancestors". Unbelievable.:D

That seals the father of Jacob then Benny, thanks a million mate.O0
Or should that be Benjamin.:)

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve,

I'm really pleased it turned out to be the right one. :)
An absolute stroke of luck Julie.:)

And I have just recieved this by email.

Dear Mr Ives

Your email to the Suffolk Regiment website was passed to me for reply.

When a battalion was based at home it was moved about the country as required - partly as Home Defence and partly to be available to support the civil power as necessary. The 1st Battalion had come back in 1847 from a nine-year deployment in Mauritius: they were in Portsmouth in 1848 and based in Weedon in 1849, with detachments in various places in the north and the midlands; they moved to Chatham (with one Company in Harwich) in 1850, which is where they were on Census night.

So as you can see they were not based anywhere near Devon.

According to www.ballarat.genealogy.org.au a Pte Jacob Moore (regimental number 954) was among the soldiers of the 12th of Foot who were based in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, in 1854 when the battalion was called on to put down an uprising of gold-miners at the Eureka stockade. He had arrived in Melbourne on the transport ship 'Camperdown' on 6 November 1854 and returned home on 24 March 1857 from Hobart.

I don't know if this is your great great grandfather, but it seems very possible.

I hope this helps.

Gwyn Thomas
Hon Curator

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I wonder if Rebecca went with him?
I do wonder Julie.

IF she did, and according to the email, they arrived back 6 months before William died. And Rebecca died about 6 months after him.
So they could have died from something they picked up in Oz. I suppose I'll have to order the death certs for them both.

Also, would a Private be allowed to take his family, considering the logistics of providing for them on such a trip.

If 30% of the force were married, and half took their family, that is still a large number of 'non-combatants' to provide for on the ship.

I'll have to call up the Oz contingent on here for some help.:) :rolleyes:

I'll have to have a look now for Rebecca's Dad now. Would a 'bargee' be considered a sailor in the 1800's. I'm just wondering how Jacob and Rebecca met in the first place. Plymouth/Portsmouth is still a long way from Northants.

If Dad was on the canals, it could explain the link. As munitions were stored at Weedon Barracks, and the Grand Union Canal linked to the Barracks.

An absolute stroke of luck Julie.:)

And I have just recieved this by email.

Dear Mr Ives

Your email to the Suffolk Regiment website was passed to me for reply.

When a battalion was based at home it was moved about the country as required - partly as Home Defence and partly to be available to support the civil power as necessary. The 1st Battalion had come back in 1847 from a nine-year deployment in Mauritius: they were in Portsmouth in 1848 and based in Weedon in 1849, with detachments in various places in the north and the midlands; they moved to Chatham (with one Company in Harwich) in 1850, which is where they were on Census night.

So as you can see they were not based anywhere near Devon.

According to www.ballarat.genealogy.org.au a Pte Jacob Moore (regimental number 954) was among the soldiers of the 12th of Foot who were based in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, in 1854 when the battalion was called on to put down an uprising of gold-miners at the Eureka stockade. He had arrived in Melbourne on the transport ship 'Camperdown' on 6 November 1854 and returned home on 24 March 1857 from Hobart.

I don't know if this is your great great grandfather, but it seems very possible.

I hope this helps.

Gwyn Thomas
Hon Curator

hope this work's for you it was a very important event in Aus.
www.ballarat.com/eurekastockade.htm

Glen

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hey Steve
this is all i could find for now, still looking tho. Dont know if they will be of any use or if you have already seen them.

http://www.ballaratgenealogy.org.au/art/12th_regt_list.htm

http://eureka.imagineering.com.au/library_results.htm?searchfield=0&textfield=moore

gibbo
Thanks Gibbo,

'Possibly present' !!!!! more than likely in the pub.:)

I will take it from that, he was somewhere about the vicinty. Whether he fired his gun, or was back at barracks in reserve, he was there.
I doubt if he will surface with any detail anywhere else, as several sites have his name and that's about it.
I don't need any more info on this shameful British Army action, so now I'll move on.
It does seem though, that he left the army on his return to England.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well done Steve. Benjamin Moore is his father. Rebecca Brown is the right spouse. :) :) :) :)

I am so pleased you have solved the mystery.
Hi Ben,

That marriage cert was a complete fluke though mate. The only reason I got it was because I lived near there for 6 years, and a little voice in the back of the head saying "Weedon Barracks and soldiers".

How on earth would anyone connect Suffolk/Norfolk, Devon and Daventry, not me.:eek: :eek:
That was the luckiest break that I could ever have.:rolleyes:

I don't think that will happen again. But heres hopeing.:)

Thanks again Ben, for your help.O0

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

This means you are of Norfolk ancestry. Norfolk, Suffolk borders.

Ben
That looks the case Ben. We could be rellies.:D :D :D

At least the 'looney' gene has been put to rest, but you never know.:biggrin:

All I need to do now is find Benjamins origins. But the John Moore family in Tasburgh could be rellies, possible brother for Ben maybe.