• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Register Office Marriages.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Under what circumstances in the mid 1800's, would dictate a register office marriage.
I have ordered a number of marriage certs in the past, but have just recieved my 1st one conducted in the Register Office.

The Groom is a widower and the bride is a spinster. I would not have though a 'widower' being a reason.

Any thoughts.?

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

That has happened to me at times. I wonder if it could be due to busy bookings for churches or a cheaper method.

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ben,
What do you mean "happened to you", how many times have you been married.:2fun: :2fun: :2fun:
I just wondered if this was unusual.

Hi Steve

If I get wed it will be for the wedding cake :D

No, I have had a few ancestor certs where they wed in the registry office.

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I've only just realised, that the cert that I recieved this morning, is the same register office that my sister got married at 129yrs later.

Small world. I wonder if anyone of us will find that our mum is distantly related to our dad. :eek:

"I am My Own Grandpa"

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
As most of my paternal family were neighbours, so to speak. I am surprised that I haven't got four arms and three heads. That would be handy at times though.

Steve.:) :D :eek:
You can do FH twice as fast. They say that we are all probably distantly related to each other anyway because the generations multiply the further we go back. 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great grandparents, 16 great, great grandparents, 32 ggg-grandparents, 64 gggg-grandparents, then so on and so on.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
You can do FH twice as fast. They say that we are all probably distantly related to each other anyway because the generations multiply the further we go back. 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great grandparents, 16 great, great grandparents, 32 ggg-grandparents, 64 gggg-grandparents, then so on and so on.

Ben
That's why it get's a lot harder, the further back we go. Each generation, twice as many people.
In 1964 my grandmother had 10 children, 39 grandchildren, 48 gt.grandchildren and 1 gt.grandchild all living. Not a bad effort for one lovely lady.

gwenythgreen

Valued Member
Under what circumstances in the mid 1800's, would dictate a register office marriage.
I have ordered a number of marriage certs in the past, but have just recieved my 1st one conducted in the Register Office.

The Groom is a widower and the bride is a spinster. I would not have though a 'widower' being a reason.

Any thoughts.?

Hi Steve

Have you thought that maybe this was because they just didn't want the inlaws interfering, as it would be to late for them once the deed was done.

Gwen :)