• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

REID family

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Geoff.

Might take me a day to refresh my memory re this topic.

Good food, good weather, good sights, good time. :)

Plan to do the south coast of NSW next March.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Shipping reel - Arrived 19 Jan 1855

REID
James 39 Joiner - Ayreshire - Robert & Margaret Father dead Mother in Ayrshire - Baptist - Both None Good None

Margaret 35 - John & Mary Holmes Father dead Mother in Ayrshire

I didn't check Isabella so that will have to wait until another trip to the library.

Death 16 Sep 1910/C01475 Linedale Isabella Buchanan Muir - James Reid - Margaret Holmes

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
'William Miles' 1855 Moreton Bay Reels 2137, 2472
REID James 39 Ayrshire
REID Margaret 35 Ayshire
REID Isabella 15 Argyleshire ** perhaps an error
REID Mary 11 Canada
REID Margaret 9 Canada
REID John 5 Canada
REID Rubina 2 Ayrshire
REID William inft Glasgow
REID Isabella 15 Servant Argyleshire James & Margt. on board Bapt. R&W

I'd say an error with place of origin. Daughter being aged over 14 listed under 'Single Women' on the shipping record.

DeeKay

Hi Dave and Geoff.

I have a memoir written in 1962 by Oliver Woodward, son of Jemima Reid. It has info that clears up a number of the doubts you have had. Isabella seems to have travelled with the rest of the family on their travels and to have arrived with them on the “William Miles”. She may have been treated differently in the arrival records because, being 16 years old, she was no longer considered a dependant child. The reference to her being born in Argyllshire rather than Ayrshire seems to be wrong. From the dates and places of the children’s births it is possible to deduce that the family must have gone to Canada between 1839 and 1842 (apparently before the 1841 census) and to have returned between 1849 and 1851 but Oliver wrote that he did not know precisely. I could post the interesting parts if you would like to see them; but it would be an A4 page or more and I don't know how that goes in forums such as this one.

Donald

horse

Loyal Member
Hi Donald

Welcome to the site.

Dave is the original poster. He is currently away for a few days and may well be interested in your info.

Once you have made 3 posts your name will turn green and you will be able to contact him via the 'Personal Message' system [PM] and you can then discuss a method for exchanging the info.

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Donald,

Thanks for the info.

Isabella is the connection to my tree.

In the shipping record Isabella is listed as 15 and a servant and a Baptist with parents James & Mary on board. Place of origin is an error. It also adds "Father and Mother on board" in the 'Relations in the Colony' column. So, I'd say there is no doubt

It's a bit out on a limb of my tree and way off any direct line so I have not traced her siblings in Australia.

Dave

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 6
DaveHam9 Scottish Genealogy Roots 4
DaveHam9 Deaths 48
DaveHam9 Deaths 7
DaveHam9 Travel and Migration 7
DaveHam9 1851 Census Request 8