• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

relatives names

gibbo

Loyal Member
When i first started this research about 18 months ago i was having so much trouble finding some of my relatives.. Jack's real name was Henry, Edward was Edwin, Emma was Emily, Pat was a Edwin as well and on and on it goes. I found it interesting that Jack had been called Jack from day one and on one knew that his real name was Henry!

gibbo

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gibbo

Yes, our ancestors do like to confuse us and send us down the wrong track. My ggggrandmother Sarah Brain's birth cert says her mother Maria's maiden name is different to what I thought it was as there was a woman living with Sarah's parents in 1841 who had a daughter the same age group as Maria.

Ben

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Ben,
The name thing is confusing and then they throw a couple of marriages in the mix as well. One of my relatives was married twice and both the wives had the same first name, at the time i didnt know he married twice and i was wondering why the wife's maiden name was different at times and other things werent adding up. I think to do this family research one sure has to love a challange and i must admit i do get a kick out of it especially when i do find something.
gibbo

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Gibbo

I think in those days most people named their children with popular first names of that time such as Thomas, William, John, George, Sarah, Ann, Mary and Elizabeth. That often accounters for why men married two women of the same firstname.

Names such as Chloe, Lisa, Linda, Callum, Darren or Liam were very rare or verging on non existent.

Ben