• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Relatives of Elsie Maud Burge/Nickerson/Dougherty

Hi all,
I'm hoping that someone may have come across my Great Aunt Elsie Maud Burge b.1889 Portsmouth, Hampshire, England or some of her relations, or information about them.
She crossed into the US at Port of Winnipeg in 1914 with her destination stated as Fort Fairfield, Maine.
I have found her marriage to William H Nickerson in Fort Fairchild, 1915 and she appeared in the 1920 US census as divorced. In 1921 she married John R Dougherty in Fort Fairchild and died in 1961. She apparently had children as I have some photos of her and her grandsons Edwin and Charles in 1960.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Andy

Hi Julie,
Thanks for your replies. I've got her in the English censuses up to and including 1911 where she was a domestic servant in Plymouth. With no record of marriage or death in UK and the family rumour of her emigrating I started looking and found her at the border crossing in Winnipeg.
I have emailed the librarian in Fort Fairfield and hopefully may get further info there.
Thank you very much for your time and effort.
Andy

Hi Leefer,
I've looked at Walter Percy and Elsie Maud of Southampton before, briefly. I have'nt found any connection into my lot so far, but thanks for the link.
It looks like my Elsie had a son Ralph born in 1916, by her first husband.
He is resident with Elsie in the 1920 and 1930 censuses, and married in 1939, so I'm following his trial at the moment.