• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Rich or Poor? Poverty Map...

ral91

From
England
Haydon Street Poverty Map snipping tool.JPG

Hi everyone,

One of my ancestors lived on Haydon Street (yellow arrow pointing to it) and I looked it up on Charles Booth's Poverty Map of London.

Problem is, there is no colour allocated to Haydon Street. Is there any reason why this may be? Quite a lot of area to the West is also grey.

(just so you know whereabouts this it, it is a stroll North directly above the Tower of London, think you can see on the bottom of the map "Tower Precincts"

Hope someone can help:)
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I think you'll find that the Minories comes under the City of London, it may be on the map but wasnt included on the povety map. Hope this makes sense.

Hi Julie,

Had a read of that wikipedia link, thanks. I know you're not an expert but would you know whether people lived in the Square Mile? or might Samuel Lake (that you helped me with - the tobacconist) have lived above his tobacco/pipe/smoking stuff shop he might have had?

Really interested in this branch of my family now:)

Ryan

I am interested in the area marked as St Olave on the map the church of St Olave is south of the river so I had assumed that the parish shown as in Southwark was south of the river. Are the two related or different despite being so close together?

Ed

Hi Ed,

I'm afraid I'm not much use as I don't really know, it may have changed name as the map was drawn up in 1898/9. Below is the link to the site I used and took the image from. Go to 'Search' next to 'Home' and type in the street or area you want to see after clicking on 'map in 2000' then click on 'view it on map' or words to that effect. and it should be on the page. Don't know if that helps:)

http://booth.lse.ac.uk/cgi-bin/do.pl?sub=view_booth_and_barth&args=531000,180400,6,large,5

Ryan

Hi

Thanks for that St Olave, Southwark is shown as south of the river just at the south end of London Bridge.

So it looks as if there were two of them.

What a fascinating map I will have to look at it more closely I have a whole branch of my family who come from St Olave, Horsley Down & Rotherhithe so will have to look at these areas more closely.

Thanks

Ed

If I've checked my information correctly, Haydon street is one where the housing is occupied by people classed as being fairly poor. Not, I must add here, among those housing the local criminals, nor those in chronic want. :)

Well, that is a shame for gt gt gt gt gt Grandad:(

Although this is true, the map was put together in the very late 1800's 1898 I believe, so could anyone enlighten me as to the possibility of a change of such an area in about 80 years as Samuel died in 1819.

Is there a chance it could have once been an area of reasonable respectability? As I would have thought the Square Mile to be quite an expensive area to live.

Hi
On the 1868 map the area is a little clearer. It is obvious it is a densly populated area with passages etc. It is also close to the entrance to Aldgate station, with all that comes with it.
dave

Unfortunately, anyone living in London during the nineteenth century, did not have the benefits of an affluent society as seen there today. During this early period, the rich and poor were quite often only a street away from each other, but then London does have more than two centuries of social history behind it.

Those who lived in the countryside, often on very low wages, were forced to try and better themselves and seek work in the larger cities. But, with so many all trying to improve their lot at the same time, this led to over-population which caused poverty to increase quite rapidly, and whole areas that were previously respectable, suddenly became slums in little or no time at all. :)

Back