• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Richard Atkins

gibbo

Loyal Member
Not sure this these indexes would be of any use. I dont have access so cant have a look.

FMP

England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935 Middlesex, Great Britain

Atkins or Baker Richard — — 1807
Atkins or Baker Richard — — 1807
Atkins or Baker Richard born 1769 — 1807
Atkins or Baker Richard born 1769 — 1807

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
I wonder if that means his parents weren't married so went by both names??

I just want to rule him out as mine, I don't have the name Baker in my tree so he must be a different Richard Atkins. That's a relief I thought I was going to find another criminal :)

Amanda

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I'm not so sure Amanda.

I think it likely the two names have nothing to do with the mother's name but are used to spread the convictions in the hope the police don't connect the two names to the one person. Punishment depends on the number of previous convictions so the attempt is to limit those.

Dave

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Interesting, I'm still no nearer knowing if he is my Richard Atkins or not.I know there is a possibility, because I was told he disappeared for a while, and someone else found it difficult to research him.
I know mine married in 1803 in St James Westminster, I have the original certificate and I know he had two daughters, one of which died as a baby.
However I don't know how long he lived in Westminster because he was originally born in Eton in 1777 and he died there in 1832.

Amanda

emeltee

Loyal Member
I have an example of an alias in my tree where a couple had children then the father died and the mother remarried. The children were known by the father's surname alias the stepfather's surname.

Emeltee