• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Richard CLARKE born Cambridge c1831 **Edited**

Seeking birth details my GGF Richard CLARKE

He once wrote "Born Cambridge, Educated there, ... worked on Railways..."

Marriage Cert. also says, b. Cambridge.

Mother said to be Eliza(beth) HANCOCK, Father said to be John CLARK(E).

Timeline based on Immigration records to Australia says 25 yrs old on arrival Feb 1857 = 1832. Marriage Cert varies this by one year and =1831. Death Cert. =1831.

****Edited****As a result of ideas from this excellent site, I now have a special interest in a Richard CLARKE, aged 10, 1841 census, labourer's child, b. in Cambridgeshire, found in the census of North Witchford Union Workhouse, civil parish Doddington. Is this him? Is he there because his mother Eliza(beth) HANCOCK CLARKE died (she did before 1856, so maybe before 1841, and father John CLARKE could not support child?? *****

There is a 'lodger' Richard CLARKE aged 19, in house of glovemaker Sarah Ann POOLEY, in 1851 Cambridge census which is a timeline match at least. No details on him. ****Edited .... could it be the Richard from the Workhouse above, now employed and left the workhouse???****

BRICKWALL since 1979. :mad:

Anyone, anything ..... please ..

Cheers, Colin

----

Last edited:

pejay

Valued Member
Re: Richard CLARKE born Cambridge c1831

Hi Colin,could this be him in 1841 census aged 10. it is at a place called North Witchford Union workhouse. He is the only Clarke and it states Labourers child - born in county. So if this is him,could he be an orphan? or perhaps just one of his parents died, I haven't got access to 1851 census so not able to help with that. :)

pejay

Valued Member

also found on the IGI Richard Clark b 12/7/1831, ch 23/10/1831 at Bourn, not sure where this is, is it Bourne? it is an extracted record, so reasonably reliable, parents were William Clark and an Elizabeth, so wrong first name. Could he have used a Middle name? I know lots of people do, or sometimes they just fancied a middle name :)

Hello Pejay:

Thanks so much for these leads and comments ...

I was first made aware of this just two days ago (on this excellent site) and so far I have posted this http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=7476 in a separate thread.

I have a 'hunch' this could be MY Richard, because I know his "mother dead, father's whereabouts unk" when he sailed for Australia 1856.

He is not the Richard with the William, I believe, because that William is still around for the 1861 census and Richard was gone by 1856.

However, I have to try and find more about the "workhouse" Richard, because it seems to be a date/age/location match fairly well, and one of the reasons he could be in the workhouse was 'no mother and father gone..." if indeed they were a married couple.

I searched the various sites given to me here, and it seems that the North Witchford records are not as complete as others (typical!!!) when it comes to registration of 'inmates'. Also drawn a blank - so far - in the BDMs in that area.

But I am determined to track this 10 yr old down. He may even be the 19 year old Richard Clarke who is a lodger with Sarah Ann Pooley, in Cambridge, in 1851. Maybe he got his "job on the railways" from the workhouse, and was able to pay his board and lodging.

Thank you so much. I hope you can stumble on some more 'gems' for me. This site is the most interactive and helpful I have used.

Cheers,

Colin

pejay

Valued Member
Hi there, have you tried Cambridge county records or archives? they may have some info on workhouses. I don't know if the national archives will have any info but that may be worth a try too, do you have any towns/districts that the parents may have come from or dob's?. It can be terribly frustrating when we have these brick walls, and sometimes they seem impossible to break down, but when you least expect it - hopefully a little glimmer shines through :) good luck