• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Richard Norris - a carpenter in 1780s Poplar

From
England
I have drawn a blank trying to find either birth or marriage information at all for my ancestor Richard Norris a carpenter in Poplar and his wife Sarah :confused:

Richard seems to appear in Poplar records for Land Tax from 1786 and they have three children baptised at St Dunstan's in 1788 William Nathaniel, 1790 Henry Richard and 1799 Maria (at age 5). Each of the baptism records explicitly states he is a "carpenter" from Poplar.

I'm really stuck trying to find where Richard & Sarah originally came from as Richard does not appear in any earlier records from St Dunstan's. I thought he might be one of two Richard Norris from a large Holborn based Norris carpenter & builder family but seems not. I think there may be some connection to Ratcliffe or Hertfordshire (??) as these appear later with his son's marriage record. Any info or suggestions much appreciated.

cheers, Pete

I suppose you are already a member of the East of London FHS. so the member who is searching for Richard Norris is probably you. If not have a look.

Back