• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Richard OUTRIDGE

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
Hello,

Richard OUTRIDGE b. 1804 Newport, Isle of Wight

Richard was born in 1805 and died in Dec 1833. He was buried 27 Dec 1833. He was killed in an industrial accident. He was an engineer working on steam carriages. ??

Accident from Hancock's Steam Carriage.

On Saturday last, the 22nd inst., an inquest was held by the Coroner of Essex, at the Harrow Inn, Stratford, on the body of Richard Outridge, an engineer in the employment of Mr. W. Hancock, of Stratford, who met his death on Thursday under the following circumstances:-

... The deceased, who bore the character of a steady workman, was 28 years of age, and has left a widow and three children to deplore his loss.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Walter_Hancock

1832 December. Richard Outridge, an engineer in his employment dies when a boiler explodes after he wired down the safety valve. Mentions George Bish the foreman for Hancock. [7]

7. The Morning Chronicle (London, England), Monday, December 31, 1832

From the accounts of the inquest it is 1832 not 1833. Richard must therefore have died on Thursday 20 Dec 1832 at Stratford, Essex.

Perhaps his burial was on 27 Dec 1832 at Hackney. ???

I also can't find a source to confirm his birth.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

Problem solved - although the register page is headed 1833, the entries do not give a year and entries 649 to 656 relate to Dec 1832. 1833 starts at entry 657.
Richard entry 654 was buried 1832.

dave

Hello dave,

Thank you very much for that.

Now to confirm his birth.

Regards,

Dave

Hello Dave,

Another submitted entry on IGI shows..

Richard Outridge, born 17 July 1804, Newport, Isle of Wight.
Christening: 20 Jan 1819
Parents: Richard Outridge and Sarah Sale

The submitter also provides the following info on Richard's sister..

Name: Hannah Ferguson Outridge
Birth: 27 May 1823, Hoxton Old Town, Shoreditch
Christening: 21 Sep 1823 Methodist Chapel, Shepton Mallet, Somerset
Parents: Richard Outridge and Sarah Sale

Hm! What do you think?

Josie ;)

Hello Josie,

Thanks for looking. I have no info on any siblings or parents.

From the witnesses to Richard's marriage, Charles & Mary Pitman, and the fact a son was given the middle name Pitman I would have guessed his mother's name was not SALE. But, I'd be only guessing it was PITMAN. :rolleyes:

Richard Pitman OUTRIDGE c. 2 Jul 1826 Ebenezer Wesleyan, Shepton Mallet

A daughter was given the middle name Walker.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
Hello Josie,

Thanks for looking. I have no info on any siblings or parents.

From the witnesses to Richard's marriage, Charles & Mary Pitman, and the fact a son was given the middle name Pitman I would have guessed his mother's name was not SALE. But, I'd be only guessing it was PITMAN. :rolleyes:

Richard Pitman OUTRIDGE c. 2 Jul 1826 Ebenezer Wesleyan, Shepton Mallet

A daughter was given the middle name Walker.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave, my name is Cameron Outridge. Richard Outridge was my great, great, great grandfather. I was very sorry to hear he was killed in an industrial accident at such a young age.
In any case, I noticed the expert and professional research you have been conducting. I wonder if you came up with any more information about Richard, and particularly the Pitman line? My father, who is 80, said we were descended from the Pitmans of "Pitman Shorthand" fame.
Thanks in advance for your consideration.
best wishes, Cameron Outridge, Twin Waters, Sunshine Coast, Australia.

Hello Cameron,

welcome to FHUK.

It's not one of my direct lines and I have carried out no further research on this branch of my tree. Interesting to hear of the possible connection to "Pitman Shorthand" fame.

We will try to find the connection. At the moment we only have old submitted IGI records for Richard's birth. They are sometimes accurate but always necessary to find an original source if possible. Not everything is on-line and sometimes the only way to find things is to view the actual register, or find someone to view it. Or find someone who has the CD if it's on CD.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
This one should be reliable:

name: Anna Ferguson Outridge
baptism/christening date: 21 Sep 1823
baptism/christening place: St Michael Paternoster Royal, London, England
birth date: 27 May 1823
birthplace: 3059, Shepton Mallett Hoxton, Somerset, England
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: Richard Outridge
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Sarah
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C14625-2
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 0828117 (RG5 180-3)
reference number:

I can't find Sarah's maiden name. I can't prove it is SALE or PITMAN.

Last edited:
This one should be reliable:

name: Anna Ferguson Outridge
baptism/christening date: 21 Sep 1823
baptism/christening place: St Michael Paternoster Royal, London, England
birth date: 27 May 1823
birthplace: 3059, Shepton Mallett Hoxton, Somerset, England
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: Richard Outridge
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Sarah
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C14625-2
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 0828117 (RG5 180-3)
reference number:

I can't find Sarah's maiden name. I can't prove it is SALE or PITMAN.

Hi Dave, I wondered why you think "Sarah Sale" may be "Sarah Pitman". I saw somewhere that the witnessses were Pitmans. Was it normal for the "witnesses" to be the parents? Sorry, so many questions. This is quite addictive. I feel like Agatha Christie. Was up until 3am this morning/last night

Hello Cameron,

Yes, it is addictive, but I don't feel like Agatha Christie. :biggrin:

My connection is remote, via the NOBLE to KILNER family. No, I don't subscribe. I prefer to spend my money by purchasing certificates as the need arises.

The name 'Sale' comes from a submitted record to the legacy IGI. I can't find any reliable reference to prove those details are correct.

Witnesses to a marriage can be parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, friends, church clerks, ... We have 'Pitman' and 'Walker' as middle names and so far I can't find a connection to either. Of course middle names don't have to be names of related family, some are places or names of vessels, ...

If Richard was born on IOW or in Hampshire it looks as though we need someone who has access to parish records.

Re Isaac PITMAN and his family tree, it seems a brother Benjamin ended up in America and another brother Jacob in Australia. The tree has one Sarah born 1761 but no marriage or death for her.

Regards,

Dave

Back