• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Richard Yate c1590-After 1654.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
My several times great grandfather. He married Phyllis Cockerell in 1619 at Oxford, St Giles, but they lived in Burford, West Oxfordshire. They had the following children:- Steven, 1620, Richard 1621, Robert 1622, John 1623, Anne 1627 and Herbert (Original may say Hercules) in 1636, all in Burford, Oxfordshire. In 1626, he is mentioned in the will of John Templer as a tenant of a house in Witnney Road, Burford.

Phyllis died in 1654 in Burford, and said to be "wife of Richard Yate" when she was buried. I cannot as yet find a suitable burial for Richard.

I am sure Richard is related to the prominent Yate family of Witney, Standlake and Longworth. In 1587, a Joane Yate of Witney died and mentions her grandson Richard son of Leonard, but Leonard died in 1602 and does not mention Richard his son, indicating he may have died young.

In the late 1500s the Yate family of Standlake left some wills. Thomas and Ellinor Yate, and a John Yate, son of Peter, who had a son Robert. No mention of any Richard Yate's yet. In 1620 a John Yate of Burford left a will, and mentions children, but no Richard Yate.

A Richard Yate formerly of Longworth in Berkshire left a will in 1583 at St Martin, Oxford. He mentions a son Richard and son Robert. I am currently exploring this possible lead.