• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Richardson and Daniels in Norfolk

Around 1710, a Thomas Richardson married a Miss Daniells/Daniels - probably in Norfolk and they had two only offspring: a son William about 1711 and a daughter Elizabeth about 1713-15, again probably in Norfolk. Thomas and William were the last two holders of a title - as Barons Cramond in Scotland, the latter one dying unmarried about 1733-35 when that title ceased. Thomas likely died about 1724-28. I would most appreciate any relevant information - especially the forename of Miss Daniells. Thanks - oldtimer.

Kinshar

Hi

I have found this information regarding the Richardson Family

William Richardson 4th Lord CramondBorn 2 Aug 1654 Honnington Norfolk Died 7 March 1719
Son of Thomas Richardson 2nd Lord Cramond & Anne Gurney
William's elder brother Henry was 3rd Lord Cramond.

Married 1 Elizabeth Barkham 10 July 1694 Norfolk Daughter of Edward Barkham of Southacre Norfolk Elizabeth Died 28 sept 1712

Married 2 Elizabeth Daniels 9 Feb 1713/4 Kingham Norfolk Daughter of James Daniels of Norwich. Elizabeth Born C.1685 Died 8 sept 1722

Children of William Richardson & Elizabeth Daniels
William Richardson 5th Lord Cramond
Born feb 1714 Southacre Norfolk
Died umarried 28 July 1735

Elizabeth Richardson
Born 1715 Southacre Norfolk
Died 1751 London
Married 1735 Southacre Norfolk William Jermy

Last edited:
Hello Kinshar

Many, many thanks for your most comprehensive reply to my query. It adds considerably to my understanding of this family (and corrects several wrong dates). And the Scottish History site account usefully complements my knowledge of the family's background. I had, it seems , wrongly concluded that the father of the last William, and of his sister Elizabeth, was a Thomas Richardson - rather than the William he appears to be. Miss (Elizabeth) Daniels' father was apparently a Goldsmith - in Norwich, I believe, whose Goldsmith friends often advanced mortgage money to hard up gentry. They had contacts in this same sphere amongst Huguenot Goldsmiths in London. This all suggests that the Daniels were not themselves of rural west Norfolk, but we'll have to see.

Thanks again. oldtimer

Kinshar

Some Richardson Buriel details

The Church of East Walton is dedicated to St. Mary
In the chapel at the east end, lie several marble gravestones.— On one the arms of the Lord Richardson, or, on a chief, sable, three lions heads erased, of the first, impaling Barkham, argent, three pallets, gules, a chevron over all, or.

In memory of Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Barkham of Southacre, Gent. wife of the honourable Lord William Richardson, baron of Cramond, who died September 28, 1712, in the 54th year of her age.

On another, with the said two impaled coats, an escotcheon of pretence, argent, a pale fusily, sable, Daniel,
In memory of the Honourable William, Lord Richardson, who died March 7, 1719.

The arms of Richardson in a lozenge, with the escutcheon of pretence,

In memory of Elizabeth, second wife of the Honourable William Lord Richardson, who died December 8, 1722, in the 37th year of her age.
[ Elizabeth Daniels]

On another, Lord Richardson in the first and 4th quarter, and in the 2d and 3d, ermin, on a canton, azure, a saltire, argent, supported by 2 horses, ermin; crest, an unicorn's head, ermin, issuing out of a ducal coronet; the motto—Virtute acquiritur honos.

In memory of the Right Honourable William, Lord Richardson baron of Cramond in North Britain, who died July 28, 1735, in the 21st year of his age.
Also sable, 5 wings in saltire, or; crest, a demy eagle, wings displayed.

Ref: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=78514

Thanks again Kinshar

I was vaguely aware of the Richardson's presence in that small compass of manors/villages a little SE of King's Lynn (Westacre, Southacre, East Walton); also in Honington - although had misplaced any detail some years ago. The burial data and memorials with Arms is new to me and much appreciated. But I have the father of the William who died in 1719/20 as a Thomas (3rd Baron) born 1654 (Honington), died 1696 (buried Didlington) - leaving a Will (Prob 11/435) who had married an Anne Salmon by licence in 1691, she married previously to a lawyer of Middle Temple - Richard Bourne - in 1677 at St Margarets, Westminster. Most pedigrees seem to leave this Thomas out. I wonder what the Extinct Peerages show? Oldtimer.

Kinshar

Hi
William & Thomas are brothers not Father & Son
3rd Lord Cramond was Henry Richardson who died in 1701 the title then passed to his next surviving brother William 4th Lord Cramond. as Thomas had died in 1696

Thomas Richardson 2nd Lord Cramond
Baptised 19 June 1627 Died 16 May 1674
Married 1647 ~ Anne Gurney Born 1630 Died 31 Jan 1697/8 Daughter of Sir Richard Gurney Bart. Lord Mayor of London.

Children
1 Henry Richardson 3rd Lord Cramond
Born 1650 Died 5 Jan 1701
Married Francis Napier Daughter of Sir John Napier Of Luton Hoo. They had no children.

2 Thomas Richardson of St Andrew’s & Honningham
Born 20 May 1652 Died 1696
Married Anne Salmon of London (Widow of Richard Bourne)

3 William Richardson 4th Lord Cramond
Born 2 Aug 1654 Died 7 March 1719
Married 1 ~ Elizabeth Barkham Daughter of Edward Barkham of Southacre
Married 2 ~ Elizabeth Daniels Daughter of James Daniels Of Norwich

Thanks again (again)

The three-brother scenario clarifies much. It was awkward trying to squeeze in that extra generation ! It must be time for me to give up this game - what with concluding a younger brother inhertits a title from an elder one, despite dying before him. On the other hand, I seem to have concluded that Henry was just the 2nd Lord Richardson (and his father Thomas the 1st) in that his grandfather, the younger Sir Thomas) died (?1644) before his step-mother (1651), the Baroness, and hence never held the Barony himself, although was apparently referred to as 'Master of Cramond'. This would make the last one William (1713/4-1735), only the 4th Baron ?

Regards - Oldtimer.