• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Rivers

leefer

Loyal Member
As some of you may be aware i do like Englands Rivers they fascinate me...love the way some of our great towns and places built up around them.
Cambridge is built on the Cam..Taunton used to be called Toneton..and is built on the River Tone...the Exe lends its name to Exeter,Exemouth...and is born on Exmoor,the River Yeo gives its name to Yeovil and the River Chelmer gives name to Chelmesford....then theres the River Yarr for Yarmouth.
Obviously the River Avons are big rivers and the name Avon is derived from the welsh Afon which basicly meant water...the Trent lends itself to such places as Burton Upon Trent....the Humber is derived from the word Umbre...which is an ancient word meaning water...my favourite River is the Looe....i love driving there,you follow the road into Looe that follows the River...with lovely birdlife and when you get to the town itself its picture postcard...with lovely old pubs that lends itself to smuggling stories..and a lovely little sandy beach...Looe has everthing.....and talking of Looe there is the Piddle!...which gives name to Piddlehampton and is indeed Piddle is old English for little stretch of water.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
p.risboy FHUK General Chat Room 1
S Genealogy Beginners Help 14
P Occupations & Work 2